DTS vs. Dolby Digital (AC3) !!??

iXtreme

Can someone explain to me the difference in sound with DTS and Dolby Digital. The Digital(AC3) seems to sound better but I hear that DTS is better.... the DTS seems to lack bottom end and my sub sits idle and on Digital it stomps. Please clue a simplton like myself in on what the differences are. Thank you.

------------------

System specs:

Technics SADX940 DD/DTS

Technics SLDP8 CD Changer

Technics RS TR373 Deck

CV E708's FRONT & REAR

CV E76C CENTER

CV HT10 SUB

MONSTERCABLE CONNECTS & PINS

RCA 27" & HIFI VCR & DVD

DIGITAL DTS DTV SATT.

Computer system:

ProMedia 4.1's

MONSTERCABLE WIRE & PINS/JACKS

i have no idea what could be causing this bass issue in your system, but indeed, dts does sound better in most cases. and if it doesn't, it's at least as good as dolby digital. it uses less compression, which makes for a better sound, especially in the higher frequencies, but it's also noticeable on some bassy passages.

have you compared apples with oranges, meaning dd and dts on the same movie or mix? because if not, some movies are more bassy than others, and that could be it. also, it may be the way your Technics receiver handles both signals... maybe there is a boost somewhere with the dd signal and not the dts, or something...

hope it helps.

Thank you for the response. I am going to see a friend to try a higher end reciever to see if I can detect any difference.

My reciever is perhaps not high end enough to have a difference. I do however notice a difference in digital movies that are normal and thx, the thx does sound alot beefier than normal digital.

------------------

System specs:

Technics SADX940 DD/DTS

Technics SLDP8 CD Changer

Technics RS TR373 Deck

CV E708's FRONT & REAR

CV E76C CENTER

CV HT10 SUB

MONSTERCABLE CONNECTS & PINS

RCA 27" & HIFI VCR & DVD

DIGITAL DTS DTV SATT.

Computer system:

ProMedia 4.1's

MONSTERCABLE WIRE & PINS/JACKS

The link below will take you to hometheatersound.com, they post interesting articles and reviews on the entire HT spectrum. The title for this article is: "Almost Everything You Need to Know About Surround-Sound Formats for Home Theater" dated April 2001. It addresses these formats; Dolby Surround (matrixed surround), Dolby Digital (AC-3), & DTS (Digital Theater Systems). There may be other links on their home page that prove interesting reading for you as well.

Hope this proves beneficial...Wes

http://www.hometheatersound.com/features/cinemacynergy/cc_20010401.htm

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-20-2001 at 06:39 PM