My wife is out for the evening - time fool around behind her back

sputnik

Home alone and bored. I have a pair of KSB 1.1s in a closet. What if I set them outside my pair of Fortes and run them out of phase. To me, when speakers are out of phase it sounds like the sound is thrown to the out side. Would my little idea be a brilliant way to widen the soundstage or should I just go see whats on TV?

----------------

On 2/25/2005 10:34:05 PM Colin wrote:

run them in series with your horns, but way off to the sides, the more effcient horns will dominate, but but the other speakers will pick up the stereo effects...
10.gif

----------------

In phase or out of phase? Right side up or up side down?3.gif

Edit: Ooops, in series, I can't go out of phase can I?

Re-edit: Or can I....? I could be getting into dangerous waters here. Will something pop or start smoking if take off in series from the big guys and cross connect to one (or both) of the little guys to throw them out of phase? I'm not going to try that one yet 12.gif

I think it's late enough here that there may be an interesting film on Cinemax soon 11.gif4.gif3.gif (not really 12.gif). So far, going out phase with the little guys made the placement of the center "channel" tricky but I eventually got it there. With the little guys in phase, the sides were quite dominant with hardly any noticable center. I didn't try any series connections tonight.

There was an enrichment with the little guys out of phase and it was fun to play around all kinds of placements. The shining moment came when I was testing the set up with symphonic music which has been the weak point of my system (anything else from chamber music to reggae to Johnny Cash to Dire Straits is great). But I could not get the concert hall feeling from symphonic music before. With the little guys out of phase I got that - it was cool. It may not be faithful but it was more enjoyable and much fuller. Maybe that's just because I'm using more speakers period (well barely more). Those little 1.1s are pretty humble and lovable. I'll have to experiment with the variables some more but for now I should clean this up before the wife gets home. Maybe there is a Lou Dobbs rerun on CNN 5.gif . Thanks for the input. I'll add to this later if any one is interested.