Janszen model 130 electrostatics

dolbyscat

I don't know those particular speakers but Arthur Janszen was an electrostatic pioneer and made several speakers that combined electrostatic tweeters with dynamic cone woofers and some sounded quite good.

He also made ES tweeters that people combined with their own woofers, at one time Janszen ESs combined with an AR woofer was a popular rig.

Note that repair of the ES elements could be quite a problem though there are people out there that specialize in repairing and rebuilding old electrostats.

Much would depend on price.

Thanks for the info Tom.I did some searching could find very little on the speakers,but did find more on Arthur Janszen.Seems he's worked with many of the pioneer's we hear so much of on this site.I will keep my eye on this pair and get back to you on price. Thank's again John.

If these are what I think they are, they are angular add-on tweeters that were often used with the AR-1 bass units in the late 50s. Check them out well, electrostatics usually don't age gracefully. If you do a google search on Janszen you find some info, most of it anecdotal.

----------------

On 3/3/2005 8:56:39 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

I just picked up a set of Magneplanal electrostats and really like them. Very power hungry, but sound good with my HK 630 dualpower receiver. If the price is right, they are interesting. Not much bass, but very detailed and excellant imaging.

Chris

----------------

Are you referring to the "Magneplanar" speakers? If so these are a 'planar' or panel speaker but not electrostatic. They use(d) a voicecoil etched into the plastic diaphragm along with a whole slew of bar magnets to achieve the same 'force over area' effect as the true electrostatics. I would think the diaphragm moving mass would be higher because of the etched "voicecoil". But there is no concern with high polarizing voltages and less potential for breakdown....The Maggies are nice sounding but require an "arc welder" to drive them! I think well engineered horns are enormously more dynamic........

Years ago I had Maggies; nice smooth sound and good clarity but poor dynamics. I combined them in a bi-amped setup with LaScala basshorns taking over below 400hz, made for some pretty dynamic Maggies.

After a few years the wires glued to the mylar diaphragms starting coming loose and rattling, then the wires broke and the speakers died.

All in all I'd say they were Rube Goldberg contraptions of dubious design and questionable quality. They looked quite stylish out on the curb come garbage day.