portable CD recorder?

jdm56

what's the application? (wondering what kind of quality you're looking for). To my knowledge, there isn't such a thing as a portable CD recorder, but there are portable DAT recorders (uses a digital tape to store the data...same redbook audio quality). But for a lot cheaper, you might consider going the MD route. You can find both real small with inputs for mics (like for recording classes) and then also with playback abilities. The nice thing about DAT is that you can use a digital connection to your pc where you can burn the CDs.

It is a very common professional practice to use a portable DAT recorder and a stereo pair mic setup to record musical performances. In fact, some might consider it the preferred way.

I have had a Sony TCD-D7 DAT for a number of years. It works well, but my home DAT, a Sony DTC-75ES quit a year or so ago. Repair on it is gonna be $250. I really don't use the DAT Walkman much; mostly for recording my daughter on piano, casual gospel singing with friends & family, and occasionally to record music in church. I have also been known to do the weirdo-audiophile thing of recording ambient sounds - thunder, summer nights, trains, etc. And don't tell anyone, but I have also recorded yours truly performing my own compositions.14.gif .

Anyway, the point is CD and HD recording strike me as a much more appealing technology for my use. Even a pro-style cassette recorder might be good for me, but I prefer digital since whatever I record is apt to end up on CD at some point.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey, thanks! Now that is what I had in mind. Now, if it was only about half the price!8.gif It is probably a fair price, though; Geez, I paid $600 for my Sony DAT WalkMan probably, oh around 10 years ago. Thanks for going to the trouble to post the pic and links!