Ring, ring....Born2RockU.....got a question for you

Tom Adams

Last night while watching my just purchased Chicago Live DVD concert, I saw something that I also saw on the Fleetwood Mac The Dance concert DVD. Not sure if I can explain this very well, but it appears like the drummers kick drum is composed of a standard kick drum with another kick drum shell attached to the front of it. Does that make sense? Just what is the purpose of that? Why not just have a kick drum whose shell is twice as long (deep?)??

Thanks!!1.gif

Tom

Tom Adams :

That extra shell is a different drum called a LCD.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,6373,CNTID%253D25075%2526CTID%253D217200,00.html

In Fleetwoods case,

he probably places a LCD drum, as large as his main bass drum, in front the original drum.

This way you can capture the " punch " w/ the original drum's internal mic,

then use another signal from the LCD,

to enhance the all around live bass-drum low and high frequency's.

Great question.

At A-Squared Studio out in Ann Arbor, Michigan where Ted Nugent used to Master his albums just before release, they used a trick I'd not seen before:

They had a drum kit with the kick drum placed into the open end of a 30" diameter concrete sewer pipe that was about 3 feet long! Then they would place the mike in the sewer pipe opening and MAN did it EVER make that kick sound 10 feet tall! 6.gif

Weird, yet effective!

Good Q&A, although it still amazes me what drummers and recording engineers go through today to create a great drum sound. Triggering electronic samples, drum extensions, this new device.

I remember John Bonzo Bonham, drummer for Led Zeppelin, with a 26" kick custom made by Ludwig. They would set up his drums in a castle hallway and mic his entire kit with only three very carefully placed mics. And it sounded like cannons going off! And this was 1968.

But that low freq capture device sounds very cool. I'm a big Chicago fan, It'd be nice to have a concert on DVD- what is the title of the one you have Tom?

Michael