what preamp/poweramp with Cornwalls?

ram87

B&K stuff goes really well with Cornwalls.

I started out with a used ST-140 amp (105 w/ch I believe) and a Carver CT-17 pre-amp driving my Cornwalls. Very nice combination.

I recently added 2 pair of Heresys, a RC-7, a B&K Ref 50 pre-pro, two B&K ST125.2 amps and a Haffler DH 200 amp.

The front Cornwalls are driven by one of the ST-125.2s. The other ST-125.2 drives the surround Heresys, the ST-140 drives the rear Heresys, and the Haffler drives the RC-7 center channel (I know, I know, timbre match is not perfect with the RC-7, but it sounds pretty damn good to me).

With this set up, the Ref 50 gives you 7 channel stereo (or if you add a sub, 7.1) Even FM sounds great (of course we have a 24/7 commercial free jazz station in the Bay Area - www.kcsm.org).

You can pick up used ST-140's for >$200 and I'd highly reccommend them. In fact, I'd like to pick up another one myself.

The Carver CT-17 and TFM-45 (375 w/ch) are now driving a pair of KG2's in my office.

I've never had a problem buying used quality components - with SS they either work or they don't.

James

Not having Cornwalls I can't give you an exact exact answer, but I can tell you if you are open to mixing old and new I have Sunfire pre/pro and older Carver amps driving my Chrous and Forte sounds great to me. I have seen a few other posts where people like the Klipsch/Sunfire combination.