RF-5 vs. RF-35

Kick It

I plan to get a HT system to go with my 61" DLP in a 16'x 23' living room (with cathedral ceiling) that opens up into the dining room followed by the kitchen. I started with looking at the RF-35 HT system minus the sub and going with something like the SVS PB12-Plus/2 or just the PB12-Plus.

Basically: RF-35(2)

RC-35

RS-35(2)

PB12-Plus

I'm also looking at the Denon AVR-3805. That be a 125 watt per channel amp and all the Klipsch speakers are rated to handle 125 watts.

The RF-5 HT system: RF-5,RC-7,RS-7 which would cost about twice the RF-35 system (both systems minus sub). Is the difference that much that would justify spending twice the amount?

When adding the cost of the sub and the amp then the total cost would be the RF-35 with sub and amp costing 3/4 the cost of the RF-5 with sub and amp.

if your saying it only cost 1/4th more for the RF-5 set then I would say yes it is worth it. If you watch movies alot it will make it more wortht he upgrade because the center will make voices sound more clear and the RS-7s would do a better job the RS-35s. I am not saying the RF-35 sounds bad, just the 7 series stuff is a major leap fromm 3 stuff. The jump from the RF-35 and RF-5 will be a nice one. Conisdering it will improve your sound all around, I say 1/4 the added price is worth it. Althought, most on here would agree you must go listen to both and decide for yourself.

CD

You should get a better discount on the RF-5 system, i.e., it should be a bit closer to the RF-35 system.

The center channel is the most used speaker in a home theater. The RC-7 is much better than the RC-35. The RS-7s is much better than the RS-35s. The RF-5 is a marginal improvement over the RF-35.

Only the listener can decide whether the improvement is worth the cost. For me, the RC7 would be the only Reference center channel that I would accept.

So we have:

RF-5 150 watts 99dB Sensitivity

RC-7 200 watts 98dB sensitivity

RS-7 150 watts 98dB sensitivity

SVS PB12-Plus

and then the 125 watt AVR-3805 Denon reciever.

Do these actually match up together? I thought that it would be best to try to match wattage and sestivity. Especially up front accross the 3 front speakers. I do like it, that the RC-7's have the same size 8" drivers as the RF-35's.

How do you match wattage from the reciever to the speakers? Is it best to have the speakers able to handle a little more than the amp will put out? My guess is that the amp in question would work just fine.

Edited: 96dB to 98dB for the RC-7

The watts per speaker question comes up often. The wattage figures are maximums and would blow the windows out of your home and make you deaf.

The danger to speakers is far greater from amps that have too little power. The under powered amp will clip when over driven. Clipping kills speakers due to pure DC voltage being delivered to the tweeters. The best way to avoid damage to speakers is to turn down the volume at the first hint of strain.

The sensitivity ratings were switched on the RC-7 and RS-7.

Bill

I think you will be very happy with the RC-7 center and the RF-5's across the front. Don't pay to much attention to the dB ratings for the 2 speakers. Klipsch recommends either the RF-5's or the RF-7's fronts with the RC-7 center. Go listen to your configuration at a dealer and if you like what you hear then that is what matters.

IMHO, the 2 most important aspects of home theater are the center channel and the sub. The RC-7 is one heck of a center.