Live Jazz - Music of Dexter Gordon

jtice

Thought I'd let y'all know about this - if you get a chance don't pass it up... a production of Jazz at the Lincoln Center, Music of the Masters. The Music of Dexter Gordon.

Three most excellent tenor sax players accompanied by a trio of jazz legends associated with Dexter and others. I won't go on and on, but it was probably the most jazz talent ever to blow through this little town, and probably the best program I've seen (which isn't really saying much). The audience was into it, they were into it, acoustics were outstanding. George Cables was the leader and host. Two and a half hours of pure musical bliss.

George Cables, Piano; Rufus Reid, bass; Leroy Williams, drums; Jerry Weldon, Tenor Sax; Jimmy Greene, Tenor Sax; Wayne Escoffery, Tenor Sax.

Sounds like a great night! I love George Cables--used to hear him around LA all the time in the 1970's and 80's--often with Art Pepper. He is a BEAUTIFUL piano player. I am really itching to get back to NYC and see these new venues for Jazz at the Lincoln Center.

Dexter was a monster. I was lucky enought to hear him at a small club in San Francisco called the Keystone Korner back around 1979. I went three nights in a row! There is a live album on Blue Note that captures some of this and I'm sure some of that clapping and whooping you hear is ME in a very excited state while still in my early 20's! And Mosaic has just re-released this with a bunch of extra cuts--I think I have to order it now!

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MS-014

----------------

On 3/11/2005 10:19:12 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Sounds like a great night! I love George Cables--used to hear him around LA all the time in the 1970's and 80's--often with Art Pepper. He is a BEAUTIFUL piano player. I am really itching to get back to NYC and see these new venues for Jazz at the Lincoln Center.

Dexter was a monster. I was lucky enought to hear him at a small club in San Francisco called the Keystone Korner back around 1979. I went three nights in a row! There is a live album on Blue Note that captures some of this and I'm sure some of that clapping and whooping you hear is ME in a very excited state while still in my early 20's! And Mosaic has just re-released this with a bunch of extra cuts--I think I have to order it now!

----------------

Allan,

I may have been at one of those nights at Keystone. Tod allowed me several free entries during that run. Dexter has always been huge on my list of favorite tenor players. I also don't think enough people realize what a virtuoso George Cables is as a piano player. I've attended several of his solo performanes in the Bay area. All outstanding. The list of artists George Cables has played keyboards with is awesome.

The work of Dexter with George as part of his working group can be heard on the Columbia LP "Great Encounters", which features the addition of Johnny Griffin on one side, and Eddie Jefferson on the other. The LP can still be found at many used record stores. Most have not discovered yet how great Dexter was playing during this period with Columbia. "Great Encouters" smokes!

Klipsch out.

Gary- here's what I found: The George Cables Trio, tenor saxophonists, Wayne Escoffery, Jimmy Greene and Jerry Weldon will perform The Music of Dexter Gordon, the great master of bebop tenor saxophone, in these cities: February 24, 2005 Blacksburg, VA February 25, 2005 Fairfield, CT May 13, 2005 Detroit, MI May 14, 2005 Milwaukee, WI

Allan- Cables was nothing short of amazing. He made his way on stage with a cane and his voice wasn't very strong, but when he started to play it was both sensitive and powerful. The others left the stage while he played a long beautiful solo. And the crowd fully appreciated his talent.

John

----------------

On 3/11/2005 10:19:12 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

EXCELLENT SET!!!!!! Highly recommended for both the performance and recording. Thanks Allan.