Better sound from my turntable

----------------

On 3/11/2005 9:54:52 PM brokenarrow1 wrote:

I have a Gemini XL500 II and a $ 50.00 Cart. I suppose the cart makes all the difference. I have a HK preamp that was about 40 bucks.what am I doing wrong. I have it plugged inot the AVR635 on analog posts

Need some help
----------------

What model HK preamp? I'm assuming it's a phono preamp? How have you connected the HK preamp to the AVR635?

My guess is there is a problem with that PHONO preamp. So in other words, you have your turntable RCA output plugs plugged into the INPUTS jacks on the HK PHONO preamp. And then connected the OUTPUT jacks from the PHONO preamp to the CD Input jacks on your AVR635? If it is indeed a phono preamp, it should work.

There are a number of different phono preamps out there. Decent ones from $100 on up.

Sorry BA I was doing my crossword puzzles and browsing on fleabay. And I have been to HK's website to get a look at your unit.

Different cartridges have different levels of output. .

Also try putting the cable from the output of your pre into the "Tape in" jacks on the 635. That is number 36 on your DIAGRAM.(Link)

Assuming your phono pre is working and hooked up properly, remove the ground wire from the TT to the phono preamp. With the "tape monitor" selected, there should be a fairly loud hum. If not there is something wrong with the preamps amplification circuit.

Get back to us.

Rick

Hmmmm. one of these things. http://www.avhifi.com/asp/product.asp?recorprod=1&product=936&cat=217&ph=&keywords=&recor=1&SearchFor=&PT_ID=1

I've never used one of those types, they're supposed to work ok, but I can't really say I'd trust them either. If everything is working properly, yes, your albums should be relatively close in volume to your cds.

There was an adjustment screw (trimpot) on one of my old crown pre-amps to adjust gain on the phono section. Check your pre-amp for this. Also, there are two kinds of cartridges, moving magnet, and moving coil. They require different settings on the phono pre-amp. Gain is different between the two as well as some other factors.