K-57 midrange problem! please help if you can . .

jessta50

hello everyone, i'm a college student at the university of florida and new to this forum. I made the unfortunate mistake of lending my klipsch choruses to a friend in a fraternity for use at a party. they must have been underdriven, and one of the diaphragms ended up partially toasted (or so i thought)

however, I ordered a new diaphragm from klipsch, and the symptoms remained after I installed it (sound cutting in / out arbitrarily with a direct correlation to wattage fluctuation)

does anyone have any suggestions for what the problem might be? maybe a fouled capacitor in the crossover or something? i'd appreciate any help!

thanks

I think you have to take a close look at all the connections. Hard to tell from this far away. But it is beginning to look like 50% of the problems reported to the forum are just that.

I suspect this is not a matter of being over driven during a party since you installed a new diaphragm. Rather, the act of moving them, or your good efforts, may have jostled something or been incomplete. No insult intended.

OTOH, perhaps a solder joint got overheated from the beasts being over driven.

I had a connection problem. At high drive levels the connection seems to break through. Then at low drive levels it goes bad. This seems to be what you're describing.

I've had similar problems with car's electrical connectors. They look good but there is some corrosion or something which is not obvious to the eye.

The great amp designer, Nelson Pass, reports that when people replace speaker wire with a better type, it does sound and work "better". This, in his view, is because they've cleaned up the connection in the process. I expect he is talking about himself. Me too.

Let us all know what you find.

Best,

Gil

Prior to 1985 all Klipsch speakers had the wires soldered directly to the drivers.

I always cut off those push-on connections and solder direct to the drivers.

It sounds better, even when new.

Years down the road it eliminates this intermittent kind of problem as well.