I think my 963 just went belly-up on me...

heresy2guy

I can't believe this. My 963 now won't read any CDs I put in it. It spins the disc and then just stops like there's nothing in there. Function controls (play, pause, track forward, etc...) won't work except for the open/close button. I unplugged it twice already. Still no dice.

I had a similar problem a few years back...in '01 or '02 when my wife bought one of those home theaters-in-a-box for our bedroom.

You know, I've got a funny feeling it was a Philips system, like a "MX9500" or something along those lines. Now that I think of it, I wound up going back to Fryes to return the thing because it stopped reading the discs in the 5-changer tray.

I've got to check with her on this tomorrow to be sure, but this isn't looking good right now.

1:04am PST. Time for bed. I'll tackle this thing tomorrow.

-H2G

I also hope that there is no big problem here.

This has always been my fear about the uber-cheap digital craze. Sure, you can get a new player for $120 that does not sound like crap now, but how about the build quality. I picked up a used Sony DVP 9000ES several years back for the cost of maybe three or four digital on the cheap models. I would guess, but cannot confirm that my Sony would be the superior performer. Also, the thing is built like a tank - I could beat it with these newer player and I think the Sony would survive. Great upgrade possibilities to (Dan Wright, VSE, etc.).

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents and my digital on the cheap rec.

----------------

On 3/15/2005 8:33:26 AM kev313 wrote:

I also hope that there is no big problem here.

This has always been my fear about the uber-cheap digital craze. Sure, you can get a new player for $120 that does not sound like crap now, but how about the build quality. I picked up a used Sony DVP 9000ES several years back for the cost of maybe three or four digital on the cheap models. I would guess, but cannot confirm that my Sony would be the superior performer. Also, the thing is built like a tank - I could beat it with these newer player and I think the Sony would survive. Great upgrade possibilities to (Dan Wright, VSE, etc.).

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents and my digital on the cheap rec.

----------------

What Sony's would you reccomend? Is anything with the "ES" designation a good buy?

Thansk,

Chris

Rigor mortis has set in. Just got an RMA and will be returning the item. Unfortuntately, they don't have a replacement 963 - they're all sold out. The unit was a refurbished one to begin with. Perhaps that had something to do with it croaking. Maybe it's a good thing then that they're out of additional 963s since they were all refurbished anyhow. At any rate, it's back to square one for me. The HK DVD22 looks pretty appealing right about now. I'm gonna go to Circuit City and Best Buy tonight to see what kind of 192khz/24bit machines they have.

-H2G

Chris - I can only speak for the 9000ES. Dean also uses this unit They can be had for about $450.00 or so on A'Gon. I think Craig has a diff. ES model, though. (maybe 333 or 777?). Search on the Asylum and your are sure to find a number of threads.

Kevin

----------------

On 3/15/2005 6:49:16 PM heresy2guy wrote:

The HK DVD22 looks pretty appealing right about now. I'm gonna go to Circuit City and Best Buy tonight to see what kind of 192khz/24bit machines they have.

-H2G

----------------

You can get the HK DVD22 for about $189 and the HK DVD 31 for about $229 shipped online (check Amazon or J & R Music World online).

The HK has Wolfgram DAC's, please buy one and let me know what you think!!

Chris

Picked up a Toshiba SD-3960 the other night at Best Buy. It was on sale for $49. I couldn't resist.

When I picked up the box, it nearly flew over my ehad the thing was so light. I thought it was empty. LOL

Got home, took the player out and was like "Oh man...what a piece of sh_t!"

But then again, that's what I thought when my HK430 arrived, although my impression wasn't due to it's lightness (far from it - that thing's built like a tank) but due to the fact that it looked ancient in origin and wasn't preserved too well by the former owners.

Like the HK, my thoughts changed for the better when I plugged it in and heard it.

I really can't tell the difference between my dead 963 and the SD-3960, sound-wise. They both sound excellent and for their prices, can't be beat.

Gotta be the 192/24 DACs that are making these cheap units sound so good.

I did a quick A/B with my Yamaha CDX500U and the Toshiba transformed what was once harsh and grainy into something smooth and seamless. Like I said in a post above by M54, it was like night and day. I detect a better bass response as well. Much fuller then on the Yamaha.

There are plenty of cheap mods that can be found on audio asylum for the 3960 and I might give it a try, but it sounds so damned good now I'm afraid to ruin it. I guess it's like when you get your first heritage speaker and you think "Wow! Incredible! It can't get any better then this."

Well, if you're like me and you started out with Heresy IIs and then heard Cornwalls and then La Scalas you then say "Wow! Incredible! It just keeps getting better and better. How much further up the ladder can I go?"

Well, I can go up but one more rung to the Khorn. But I'm very happy now with the La Scala.

That's how I currently feel about the 3960 - very happy with it. Maybe I'll take a gamble and try some of those "Vinny" mods that are on audio asylum.

Gotta run.

-H2G