For Sale - '77 WO Heresy - $275 - The Good, The Bad...The Unfortunate

gullahisland

I have a pair of '77 Heresys (Heresies?) available.

The Good - They're 1977 models (a good year) and they sound terrific.

The Bad - The cabinets are rough, but no gouges or missing pieces. Also, the grills have some snags and could stand to be replaced.

The Unfortunate - At some point in their lives, the speakers were PAINTED black. The risers, however, are still oiled walnut.

These are livable "as-is" depending on your tolerance for this type of thing. My guess is that someone with more patience than I could strip and sand them, restoring them to their original glory. Otherwise, they'd be great for the basement, garage, college dorm, man-cave, etc.

I'm sure you'd like to see some pics. I'll do my best to get some posted in the next day or two. Just thought I'd put this out there and guage the interest level.

Oh...I would also be willing to trade them for a decent solid state receiver (nothing vintage - remote is a must) +/- cash.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

That would explain why the guy with the ad hasn't responded to my email. Since they only cost you $50 and you've had them less than a day, how's $100. You'll be doubling your money for doing nothing but scooping the craigslist and posting an ad here.

Wow! Such hostility!!

These are, indeed, the pair in question from Craigslist.

I DID NOT pay only $50 for them. I offered $150...guess which email out of the 50+ he's gonna' respond to.

I figured, if nothing else, I'd flip 'em or part them out if they didn't meet the WAF. So here they are. Also, my time and travel expenses aren't free - nor should yours.

Finally, the seller had quite an interesting life story which I'll share later. I need to get ready to go to work.

Wow! Such sensitivity! That was not hostile, Dan. Since you're going to see hostility, though, I'll eschew the sugar coating and just speak my mind.

OF COURSE you figured you'd flip them or part them out. It's your extent of interest in the hobby. Do you think your posting history does not bear this out? How thick do you think the people around you are?

Me, I figured I'd use them. You know, buy them, hook them up, use them. I have another pair of Heresys that would complement them nicely. My time and travel expenses, since you brought them up, would be justified in the getting of them. I am not, however, interested in paying you for your time and travel. Yours adds no value. Your travel time does not even decrease mine by one hour. I, or someone else here on the forum, should pay you $125 for your quickness?

I suppose this is really not your problem, though. You bought them to make a buck. It's what you do. Being beaten out by someone who would use them and enjoy them would be one thing, but you're a pimp and you use the forum as your streets. If it's a buck you're after, pay your listing fees and sell them on Audiogon or eBay. Who do you think are the people who watch craigslist and others for deals like the one you just made? Yes, the Klipsch enthusiasts of this forum. It is insulting that you race to beat the rest of the world to these things and then want to flip them here for a buck. You use the forum and it's members badly.

Congratulations on your score. Come around and talk some time when you don't have something to sell.

----------------

On 3/16/2005 9:56:23 AM Olorin wrote:

Wow! Such sensitivity! That was not hostile, Dan.

OF COURSE you figured you'd flip them or part them out. It's your extent of interest in the hobby. Do you think your posting history does not bear this out? How thick do you think the people around you are?

Me, I figured I'd use them. You know, buy them, hook them up, use them. I have another pair of Heresys that would complement them nicely. My time and travel expenses, since you brought them up, would be justified in the getting of them. I am not, however, interested in paying you for your time and travel. Yours adds no value. Your travel time does not even decrease mine by one hour. I, or someone else here on the forum, should pay you $125 for your quickness?

I suppose this is really not your problem, though. You bought them to make a buck. It's what you do. Being beaten out by someone who would use them and enjoy them would be one thing, but you're a pimp. Congratulations on your score. Come around and talk some time when you don't have something to sell.

----------------

My 400 posts are not exclusively related to selling or "pimping" gear - as you so eloquently describe. In fact, I'm not THAT far behind you in quantity of posts as if that is somehow an accurate measure of one's commitment to the hobby. (I believe you have somewhere north of 600 posts.)

Also...Were you not happy to buy from me a pair of speakers (Klipsch Fortes) for a very fair price approximately one year ago? If I'm a pimp...guess what that makes you?

I've been in this hobby since childhood and, for me, part of the fun is buying and trying as much gear as I can. If I happen to make a few $$ to subsidize my other purchases, is that a sin?

Most of you would not have even HEARD of Craigslist were it not for me sharing links to some nice deals on Heritage Klipsch. Occasionally, I will make a purchase. Occasionally, I will make a sale. These deals come up all the time. Unfortunately, you have to be willing and able to hop in the car at a moment's notice to take advantage. Otherwise, someone will beat you to it. I only jump when the stars are in alignment. Yesterday happened to be one of those days.

A few days earlier, there was a pair of JBL C36s for like $200. I wanted them and knew they wouldn't last, but I didn't have the time to go get them so I passed. They're listed for sale on Craigslist for $775. The seller, I'm quite certain is Robin Loggie. If you want to see a "pimp" whose posts "bear this out", just take a look at rloggie. Never a thing to say unless he's asking for "market value" info or listing something for sale.

For the record...it was not my "quickness" that won the deal...although I'm sure it helped. It was my understanding of the marketplace and lack of greed that caused me to make an offer higher than the asking price.

So quit whining, Ed...And next time there's something that you really want...make an offer and be willing to jump in the car and make it happen.

Enjoy your OO Fortes...but remember...if you ever sell them, better not ask for a penny more than $450 (even though they're worth considerably more) lest, by your own definition, you, too, be called a "pimp".

5.gif

The Fortes that you misrepresented as Forte IIs? Fool me once, Dan. I hadn't been around long enough a year ago to have seen your colors.

For the record, it was nothing but your quickness that got you these speakers. I never even talked numbers with the guy. You had closed the deal before I got an offer in. I was completely willing to pay him and drive this weekend. You got there first.

Lack of greed? Please. What part of your looking to flip them for a quick 125 instead of saying to the forum, "Hey, there are some cheap speakers you might want to know about" wasn't profit-driven.

You come here for nothing but greed lately, Dan, and that's the thing that pisses me off about you coming here to sell stuff. You even try to make yourself look like a nice guy doing it, offering them for "only" 275.

How much stuff DO you sell here? I saw you posted some JBLs not long ago. The Fortes you sold me, another set of Fortes recently . . . Rosewood Khorns . . . HornEd's Belles . . . some La Scalas . . . just in the last year. Your stars are in alignment a lot, Dan, but that's not what this place is for. That's what audiogon and eBay are for. This place is for sharing. You use this place for profit.

It was fini, not you, who turned me on to craigslist, so don't get yourself all pumped up over that.

If I do decide to sell my Fortes, at least I will have USED them for a period of time. I'm not just a broker. And who knows, I may just pass them along to the Forum for what they cost me. I've gotten a lot here, and sending them to a new home for no more than I paid for them would be a nice way of paying it forward. Not that you'd understand.

Just a P.S. -- I looked through my post history and found thread after thread of either links to great deals on audio gear or just "jumping into the fray" on various discussions.

And finally...a clarification on rloggie. He comes here for information and/or deals, but sells it all on Ebay for top dollar.

I do my best to offer items to forum members first for CONSIDERABLY LESS than ePay.

Case in point. I just sold a pair of WO Fortes to a fellow forum member for $500. They're almost mint. Just take a look at the last few Forte auctions on Ebay. $600-1,000 for similar or LESSER quality than mine.

Anyhoo...Guess I should just schlep 'em on Ebay.

Four of your last ten topics are things that you are selling.

Thanks for the warning on rloggie -- forewarned is forearmed.

Considerably less than on ebay, and at considerable profit to yourself. As my relatives of a few generations ago would have said, "That's mighty white of ya."

Rock on, Dan.

----------------

On 3/16/2005 11:40:14 AM Olorin wrote:

The Fortes that you misrepresented as Forte IIs? Fool me once, Dan. I hadn't been around long enough a year ago to have seen your colors.

----------------

The "misrepresentation" was an honest mistake. Just go back and look at the post. I disclosed any and every imperfection and took quality photos so there would be no misunderstanding.

You and your girlfriend came into my home for a lengthy audition. I held the speakers for you. I was accomodating. You were under ZERO obligation to buy them. So don't misrepresent the "misrepresentation".

It would also seem that the value of original Fortes exceeds that of Forte IIs. Just keep tabs on the auction history in such places as Ebay. The original Fortes with their exponential horns have the "Heritage" sound that is so desirable.

But hey, what do I know?

And a final clarification. Do a search through the archives and you will see that I was the first to make FREQUENT references to nice deals on Craigslist. After which, Fini began to do the same.

Why didn't I just give a heads-up? 'Cuz I bought 'em. Why didn't you give a heads-up? 'Cuz you wanted to buy 'em. You're not so noble. Just bitter.

Like I said, my mistake on the Forte buy. I've made no claims to nobility -- that's been your province. So what if I'm bitter? I've had enough of seeing you scoop up gear that could be used for using when your only interest is the money. Your profit-driven, rank use of the Forum has gotten on my nerves.

Good luck selling your stuff. That's what we're here for!

Okay...back to the topic at hand.

Earlier I stated that the seller had a very interesting story. I'll go ahead and share it with you.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed that (to protect his identity, let's just call him Jim) Jim was parked in a handicapped space. He was a young athletic looking guy (in his early 20s). He did, however, have a noticable limp. I asked him if he'd been injured and he said, yes.

We spoke briefly and then I went to load the speakers into my car. He told me that he would grab the other one and help me, but his arm was "still kinda' broken" so he'd better not.

I said, "Wow, so you really are injured...how'd it happen?" He proceeded to tell me how he was involved in a motorcycle accident on his way to work one morning. He then lifted his pant leg to reveal a metal prosthetic leg. He said that he was very lucky to be alive. I asked if anybody stopped to help him.

Get this: The first person to stop was an off-duty firefighter/paramedic. He took off his belt and wrapped it tightly around Jim's leg to slow the bleeding. During the ordeal, Jim lost FOUR LITERS of blood!

The second person to stop was a nurse on her way to work at Stanford Hospital.

The third and final person to stop was a doctor who was vacationing.

You can't tell me this was just coincidence. Jim believes (and I agree) that somebody was really looking out for him that morning.12.gif