Cane grille cloth (again)

Tom Adams

Over the last few years on this forum I've read many a post concerning the non-availability of the Cane grille cloth Klipsch used. Personally, I think it's a shame we can't get it anymore for I've always found it to be rather attractive. Not sure why Klipsch no longer stocks it or the original manufacturer quit making it. But you'd think that someone at Klipsch would have a light go off and think to themselves, "Hmmmm....we got a lot of aging Heritage speakers out there that folks are gonna need to fix-up. Hmmmm....might be a market for some hard to get spare grille cloth. Hmmmmm....they might even be willing to pay a pretty penny for the original stuff. Hmmmm...."1.gif

Lord knows I sure could use a few yards of the original cane cloth.

Tom

Cane fabric was very fashionable in the 50s and 60s and so should be available from professional decorator sources who are involved with restoring furniture of that era. Antique dealers specilaizing in 'retro' should be able to network to these folks. You may also look for a craftsperson weaver who might make small run of it. Woven cane (or rush, or reed, the terminolgy varies by country and region) is widely used and readily available to create and repair chair seats and other furniture.

Whoever says there is an environmental issue with real cane fabric doesn't know what he's talking about. It's a renewable resource that is used world wide for baskets, furniture, fabric, screens etc.

----------------

On 3/17/2005 10:01:59 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

So what are we using that is as close as possible to original Klipsch cane 'fabric', acoustically transparent, and good to work with?

Michael

----------------

wendellfabrics.com go to mellotone, click on fabrics, go to standard and look at MD4134