building completely new sub- atlas 12, 15 or other?

Scp53

thanks for the comment Ear. It means a little more when it comes from the subwoofin king2.gif . As for finish, I just got it done in black and its NICE. sprayed it with crylon(not spelled right) flat black 4 times and sanded between coats and the last coat. Then sprayed it with clear lauquer(spelling?). Really brought out the deep black. Ill have pics by tonight hopefully. Now i have to make a "fabric pad" to go on the bottom of it. And then after that Im making a grill for it(not sure of color though). later

scp53

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh wow, that looks really nice...how did you get that kind of finish and how much did it cost? Very nice job.

One thing I was wondering, was there any advantage to mounting the driver and the plate amp so close to the top edge? I suppose being near the edge would reduce panel vibrations...

So how much do you have total into this sub now?

----------------

On 4/15/2005 8:30:45 PM Scp53 wrote:

ok, i finally got the pics!

I'll give a reveiw in a day or so.

----------------

OK, now stop upsetting that woofer and stick the PE 1000W plate amp on there : )

That should solve your clipping problems... but might lead you to use the sub as a demolition device.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

DrWho- oh wow, that looks really nice...how did you get that kind of finish and how much did it cost? Very nice job.

One thing I was wondering, was there any advantage to mounting the driver and the plate amp so close to the top edge? I suppose being near the edge would reduce panel vibrations...

So how much do you have total into this sub now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

for the finish i used 4 coats of crylon flat black paint(can't recall exactly what it is) and sanded after each coat. then it was sprayed with 2 coats of clear laquer. the only problem is that it gets marked kind of easy. I set my rb25 on it because i have no stands and it left slight marks in it. You can't feel them at all but you can see it if the light is right. but even i you can see the marks its slight. i think it is almost fully dried/cured(laquer takes 7days i think). As for mounting placement i just put it that way. I followed a plan but you can do it any way you want. I could have put the ports in the back if i wanted to or put the driver downfiring,etc. And the plate amp is close to the top so its easy to reach and because theres a brace thats roughly in the middle of that back panel. And i have about $350 into it and it was worth it for sure. I need a different room though to really post my thoughts on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Meuge- OK, now stop upsetting that woofer and stick the PE 1000W plate amp on there : )

That should solve your clipping problems... but might lead you to use the sub as a demolition device.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually i have found that its not a clipping problem. My room acoustics are crap. So basically my driver can work quite hard and my nulls and stuff in the room kill its output so i hear mechanical nosies from the driver(which would normally covered up by high spl).

I have put it EVERYWHERE pretty much. I have found that my corners build by ~10db compared to the center or near the center of the room. and actually i only have 2 corners because one corner theres a walk way and a stairs and the other corner only has 2-3 ft of a wall before it goes to another hall opening. Chad told me that 250watts is enough to give me all of its potential. He's clocked(with some thd) 120db+ at 40hz up in a field on a cement pad at 1m away. And at 20hz he got 110db in the same configuration. Those outputs were with out any amp clipping. I took it outside yesterday and got 112db with a county song with my sb3's at 6ft. It definetly had more to give. gotta go because im short on time. later

scp53