building completely new sub- atlas 12, 15 or other?

Scp53

ok, ive deceide(this is final!!) to build this sub ported. I talked to Chad and im really excited to build it and power it up(havent had time yet to get mdf). it will be a 6ft3 box with two 4in ports with a little polyfill on the sides(to kill internal reflections). basically told me ill get HUGE output down low. it'll be tuned to 20hz or so.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"my other option is the adire tempest."

I heard six of those on a wall tuned to 32 Hz, right in front of it at 140 Db's or better. I'll never do that again, my ears are still pissed.....

Man, I wish I could ponie up 500 bones for a Tumult. There might be eighteen inch versions sometime.

Hearing a actual 124,125 decibels at 20 Hz with a pair of the Tumults in a home, with 5K of wattage is something I'll never forget.

I don't think many folks are aware how loud 125 Db of 20 Hz actually is in a home, and what it takes to achieve it.

They had to torture those Tumults to do it, both amps pretty much clipped at 2500 watts each, the Tumult cones looked like they were hanging out front of the enclosures 3 inches, the surrounds in a straight line. It would eventually start smacking the tinsel leads against the spider, he was running them rather hard to do 125 Db.

I do know now I need higher power amp/amps for my SVS. 16/46.

Chad told me over the phone that this sub i am makeing can pump out 110db at 1m in 1/2 space(he did it in a field on a slab or something). he said that was maz so distortion is in there. im guessing if i halved the power twice the sub should put out 104db in 1/2 space at 20hz at 1m cleanly. that is pretty impressive imo. what would in room gain be like? isnt it roughly 6db gain for 1/8 space? how many more db is room gain over 1/2 space for bass frequencies(i know that rooms are all different so i guess its a very hard question)?

scp53

Well i got it built and it is IMPRESSIVE!! I need to put it in a bigger room than what i have it in now to really get the low end out of it(i dont think the waves fit in my smallish room). I watched pearl harbor and some lotr and shook my pictures nicely9.gif. Ill post pics and a better review in the next week or so because ive been busy.

later

scp53

ok heres some pics. a few have my old titanic 10in mk3 and rb25 next to it so you can get an idea of its size- 24 Hx24 Wx24 3/4in D). i plan to finish the sub later. I'll paint it black this weekend and build a grill soon. (sorry for the large size)oh yeah, it weighs 120lbs. I'll post a review soon. Right now all i know is that it plays plenty loud and deep to PO my dad LOL 9.gif . rattles the **** out of the door and pictures(and of course me).

p40101138op.jpg

post-15154-13819262433724_thumb.jpg

You got that sub put together pretty quick... so tell us how it compares to the Titanic baby sub?

There is no substitute for cubic inches (both for cars and subs)... which translates to efficiency and extension. Bad news is you've started down the DIY slippery slope... 2.gif

Finally, there actually is some life on this forum. everyone must be gone or something for the last few days. i had my post up forever and no one viewed or replied to it. well i'll give a quick reveiw right now and later get more in depth.

MUSIC performance-

the titanic seems to have overall a little tighter sound and more punchy sound. however, the atlas is also very fine at music too. doent have that higher end snap quite as much but fills in the low end better. the soundstage has more depth will running the atlas over the titanic. in terms of spl and distortion, the atlas dominates in both areas easily. for music i seem to get about 10db or more output depending on the frequency(thats clean). the only shortfall that i still get with both subs is slight amp clipping. maybe my amp has a problem?

HT-

in this area the atlas has the biggest difference over the titanic. the atlas has a heck of a lot more output down low. i havent had time to measure though. depending on the room you can get usable response down to 16hz or so. i watched finding nemo and the atlas shook the whole house(hits 105-114db at ~2m with sub sitting near a corner). one of these times im gonna take a picture right off the wall(they move pretty good right now, and so do the lights). with every movie i watched so far the altas beat the titanic hands down. i think after hearing the klipsch rsw12 i think that this sub could compete with a rsw15 in ht and maybe music(with a little bit better amp). more to come soon. keep asking questions.

scp53

----------------

On 4/3/2005 8:23:57 PM Scp53 wrote:

Finally, there actually is some life on this forum. everyone must be gone or something for the last few days. i had my post up forever and no one viewed or replied to it. well i'll give a quick reveiw right now and later get more in depth.

----------------

The forum can be like that sometimes... Keep us updated on your listening tests, and the others will reappear. I'm really not surprised by the gains you've made given that your new sub is larger, ported, and more efficient. The tightness that you describe in the Titanic may very well be due to the higher bass roll off typically found in a sealed enclosure.

From what I remember, your plate amp is a little undersized for the Atlas... and upgrading it will give you more than just SPL. Both woofers and amplifiers perform in a much more linear fashion when not pushed to their extremes... and I'm sure your working it pretty hard. I'm not saying you got to run out and get another right away. Enjoy your current combo... and when you get the itch for a little more you can go for the bigger amp (the difference won't be as dramatic as what you've just experienced).

Rob

I think moving to a different amp will mainly stop clipping. right now that seems to happen on music but for ht it doesnt appear to happen. i talked to Chad from ascendant and he said the 250 is perfect for this combo. All the spl tests he's done outside have been using that "basic" 250wt amp. he said he never clipped his in extreme testing. But those are pure tones and not music content. i think if i were to upgrade i'd get a 350-400wt with soft clipping and a 24db slope(i have 12db now). I seem to be getting the same clipping problem that i had with the titanic so having soft clipping would be nice. i think ill take some measurments tonight if my parents aren't in the house.

scp53

The nature of explosions and all that in HT makes it harder to detect distortion. I still think your amp is bad and you should try getting a replacement from PE. It's very hard to detect distortion with lower frequencies because the wavelengths are so long (not to mention the sounds containing LF info tend to be "distorted sounding" already).

Do you have any other amp with which you can do AB comparisons? Perhaps plug your sub into one of the main outs on your reciever?

I dont have "main outs" on my receiver. but my cheapo dvd player has line out for the mains,center, surround, and sub. i think ill try that when i get home. should that sub amp play as clean as my receiver? the sub amp wont need to work nearly as hard to push the klipsch. with my older 100wt x2 receiver i could get the full potential(spl wise) out of my sb3's(and of course rb25s). ill post back what i find out later today.

scp53

ps- do you think something could be wrong with the 250 from PE? doesnt it either work or not? it always powers up fine, all controls work well etc.

Well right now i've got 2 old stereo crown amps in a PA system that sound the same way you describe your problem. However, it's such that you can't really tell that it's an amp problem until you plug in a good amp and AB the difference. A once bass shy harsh grainy sound turned into a full smooth sound...with an amp 1/4 the power. For monitors it's not that big of a deal and so I still keep them in the system..."fully working". Not having monitors would be a far worse scenario, yet it's not worth the cost to replace them either.

What I'm suggesting is to plug one of your main outs into your subwoofer, bypassing the PE amp. So basically have one channel of a stereo recording playing on your sub. Then take the other channel from your cd player and plug it into your PE amp (bypass the crossover if possible so you can make a fair comparison) and then switch between the two amps. Your reciever should do just fine at not insane volumes. See if you can't hear a difference between the two amps (also, make sure the difference you hear isn't because the L and R channels are different...perhaps do some swapping there to confirm).

Anyways, have you had a chance to measure your in-room response? Looks like you did a good job on it.

"It's very hard to detect distortion with lower frequencies because the wavelengths are so long (not to mention the sounds containing LF info tend to be "distorted sounding" already)."

No doubt.....

I wane for (more cleaner) power with my pair of SVS 16/46 CS series. The Adire audio ADA-600, or ADA-1200 look like great amps for the application.

600, 700 bucks is a lot of scratch however......

i have not been able to do any test with my receiver and plate amp(in process of finishing cab). I think it will be hard to unless i run my receiver wire up one of the ports and leave the plate amp on the back. As soon as the black finish is done ill remount everything and try to post in room response. And i think on the bottom im just going to put some fabric(thick stuff) on it. I don't know if there would be any benefit to using feet,etc. It weighs in at 120lbs so feet or no feet, its not going to move. Let my know if there would be any sound difference? Chad from ascendant audio told me he never uses feet on his cabs.

scp53