used Khorns-buy newer series or vintage?

highdecibel

If I were looking to buy used Klipschorns.....would I be wiser getting the newer series with monster cable,etc inside, or going for an older vintage, say 1977 or so?

I'm willing to do some mods (swapping horns/drivers/xovers) if necessary.... so let me know what a better choice would be.......I was gonna pick up some klf20s cheap, but my deal might be falling through

cwm33.gif

I'm sure you will get many qualified on opinions on this question, but my understanding is that it's really a matter of taste... Some prefer the sound of the older Alnico magnets in the vintage drivers... On the other hand, there's no doubt that improvements were made to the drivers and crossovers as time passed... I will see that I love my '77's and wouldn't part with them for the world!! Good luck!

Hmm,

There is some ambiguity in the question. Are you talking about the original corner horn, K-Horn. Or are you talking about the over all line of products, which use horns?

The Klipschorn is not in production these days, with or without Monster cable.

Any vintage of K-Horn, IMHO, is a gem. It is like buying a Steinway.

On the other hand, if you're talking about Klipsch speakers generically, there are an awful lot of choices. All good. I certainly would not make a go, no-go, decision based on Monster Cable.

Gil

The best Klipschorns were made from 78 to 82.In 78 the K55V went to solder connections.These sounded better than the K55V with push-button connectors.In 82 everything changed.Newer networks have an elliptical filter in the tweeter circuit that rings.The K55M does not have the low end that the K55V had.The plastic mid horn lacks rigidity and is harder to deal with as it must be stiffened up as well as damped.Later bass horns are made from 5 ply.Original used 9 ply.