Cornwalls DOA :(

Weiming

Hi all,

*Sob* I need some advice here. I just received my Cornwalls I got from Ebay. They were shipped via UPS to me in Singapore. On hooking them up, there was no sound except from the two woofers. On opening up the rear panel, I saw that the large inductors (Type B XOver) had dropped off their mounting and were dangling around.

What I would like to know is whether I can claim damages from UPS for their handling.

I don't know what to do right now....

BTW, the interior was fine prior to shipping as the previous owner provided very good pics of the inside.

Weiming.

Hi mdeneen,

I will call UPS later today and explain my situation to them. Thank god the speakers were insured.

The damage done to the crossovers are broken connections between the capacitors and the inductors. Easy to fix, but it is the inconvenience caused that really gets to me.

Well, it could have been worse smile.gif Looking on the bright side, at least I will have some first hand experience in fixing my first speaker crossover, especially a legendary Klipsch Cornwall I!

Thanks for the advice again!

Weiming.

Weiming,

That must have been SOME KIND of shipping charges to get those big puppies all the way to Singapore. For that kind of money, I'd think that UPS would make things right, somehow.

Once the repairs are made, I'm sure you'll be very happy with them.

Between Cornwall ownership (I have some circa 65 Cornwall II's) and the fact that I visit your country occassionally for work, we have a couple of things in common.

Enjoy your new additions...

Dan

Hey Dan-OH!

The shipping charges were a killer and that is why I was shocked to see the inside of the Cornwalls. I did see a pair before in a 2nd hand dealer shop, but the guy was asking US$2300 for them! Condition was waaaay worse than the pair I have at hand now.

Anyway, UPS is coming over tomorrow to take pictures of the damages done. Do I have a say in how much I can ask for in compensation? smile.gif

Weiming.

Insurance 101:

You should be indemnified for your loss. That meaning placed back in the position you were prior to the loss occurring. In theory there should be no loss and no gain. Of course, you will suffer inconvenience and stress for which there is no compensation.

There also may be a deductible which you might have to pay. This is totally dependant on the terms and conditions of your insurance contract. Remember it is a legal binding contract on both parties involved. In the case of shipping there are actually 3 parties involved. The seller, the purchaser and UPS. Normally the terms and conditions are found on the "bill of laiding". It's the thing you sign when the goods are sent and received. It will spell out what party is responsible for what bla bla bla.

Then there is the subject of "replacement cost" coverage vs. "actual cash value". Again this will be covered off in the terms and conditions of your contract. Get your hands on it and study it so you know where you stand. Replacement cost(RC)will pay for the cost of a new crossover (plus labour), while actual cash value (ACV) will "depreciate" its value based on age, condition and life expectancy.

Here is the basic theory of this:

The principle of indemnity applies to insurance. That being you should not "profit" or "loose" but rather be placed back in the position you were prior to the loss. If the crossover is used and you get a new one, you are now in a better position after the loss than before it. If you have ACV coverage, expect to pay the difference in price between the value of the used crossover and the value of the new one. Keeping in mind you now have a brand new crossover which is better than having a used one. How much would you be willing to pay for a used crossover? The same as new? Nope.

I hope you have replacement cost coverage. If not I hope this will help you to understand what you can expect and why.

Good luck!