Voice coil problem?

ajcllc

I am noticing a very very slight ticks every so often...almost like a scratch on a record while playing CD's on my Forte's. It occurs in one speaker...not both as previously stated. What could this be? Voice coils? Do I need to change to a better gauge of speaker wire? Right now I am using 16 gauge. Your input is very much appreciated.

I kind of doubt it.

If you want to check for partial distruction of the voice coil you can use spread fingers to gently push on the front woofer. It should move smoothly.

A partially damaged v.c. or something in the gap will result in binding, felt by touch, and a reduction in acoustic output.

I have heard ticks when playing sources with infrasonics. They can drive the woofer to near its limit. The forum had a similar report some months ago.

It would be worth your while to keep the front grill off while playing the music which has ticks. See if the woofer is going through some big excursions.

BTW the grill is held on by magnets. You can pry it off, gently, with a butter knife.

Wire can't cause ticks.

Let us know what you find.

Gil

Hi,

I am currently listening to John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"...the first song, Acknowledgement. It seems like in the beginning of the first song that there is a frequency problem in one speaker. It sounds like the midrange. Is replacing the midrange going to solve the problem, or am I missing something? If this is what the problem is, which I think it is, what is the model number of the midrange? Thanks!

This is where it would likely be productive to start doing a bit of troubleshooting. How about swapping the speaker wires at the back of the amp? Then see if the problem stayed with the speaker or moved to the other one.

Bob

Probably next step is to take a look at all the connections inside the speaker. You may have a bad voice coil on the midrange but that is pretty unusual. Almost always when the voice coil on a compression driver is bad it just stops making any sound.

You would want to look the connections over going to the drivers and look at the crossover paying close attention to any loose components or any loose wiring connections.

If you rule out connections as being the problem, replacing the diaphragm (and voice coil) in the midrange is pretty easy. I can supply you one or you can get it directly from Klipsch.

Bob Crites

Bob,

I took it apart and cleaned it out. There was a speck of sawduct or something rattling around. Anyway I blew it away! Presto. The problem is now solved, and they are as good as new! Thanks so much. (How did that get in there anyway? Has this gone unnoticed for almost twenty years? I am the second owner and have only had them for two weeks!) They both sound awesome as they should.