Cornwall or Cornwall II verification -- orig owner

bchulett

Mike, okay I guess I'll need to go through my hazing. This is going to be painful. Anything I should know before removing the panel and closing it back up? What pics are essential for identifying the components? Can you identify them visually? Or do they have part numbers?

Sorry for all the questions.

Plus, the speaker connection on the top of the panel, will that need to be removed? I'm assuming there are wires running to it from inside... it has a weird sort of block with screw and nut connectors. Do all Cornwalls have this?

I don't want to take the panel off and disturb the connection inside.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

----------------

On 3/23/2005 7:57:43 AM Good2BHome wrote:

Bob, the chances are excellent!! Klipsch made running changes and backed off many times, experiments, parts availability, etc.

Removing / replacing the backs will not harm the speakers, just go slow and the necessary moves should be obvious, (in fact it is part of the secret induction to the Klipsch Forum).

Klipsch production information is like peeling an onion.

Mike

----------------

Bob:

I did this in January when I got my 1st set of Heresys...and I had never done anything like this before (always afraid I will break something and not be able to fix it!9.gif )anyway...have your system off...you can leave the speaker wires connected BUT be careful when removing the back...there are the corresponding wires connecting your crossover to the inside of the back for the speaker wires...there should be enough slack to do this just be gentle...it may be your speakers first time since Hope...6.gif3.gif9.gif ...anyway...take a look inside and snap digitals if you can...when I opened my '78 Heresys, it was believed (1st owner never did) I was the first to do it since Andy put 'em together in Hope...WOW, I never saw the brains of a Klipsch before...I have done it several times since on 2 sets of Heresys cuz I had questions...sit back, relax and you'll do fine 'round here!

Bill

----------------

On 3/23/2005 12:02:47 PM bchulett wrote:

Mike, okay I guess I'll need to go through my hazing. This is going to be painful. Anything I should know before removing the panel and closing it back up? What pics are essential for identifying the components? Can you identify them visually? Or do they have part numbers?

Sorry for all the questions.

Plus, the speaker connection on the top of the panel, will that need to be removed? I'm assuming there are wires running to it from inside... it has a weird sort of block with screw and nut connectors. Do all Cornwalls have this?

I don't want to take the panel off and disturb the connection inside.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

----------------

Bob,

Silversport's description about covers it.

I have one question before you start. Is the surface of the mouth of the Midrange horn Smooth or pebbled (a little rough)?? If it is Smooth proceed to removing the back and opening them up. If it is pebbled/a little rough let us know first.

Removal information:

The screws around the edge of the speaker are all that need to be removed. The wire, from the connection on the INSIDE back to the crossover, is #18 lampcord, very sturdy stuff with sturdy connectors. Just look and go slow and you will have no problems. After the back is off, if you decide to disconnect the wire (which is not necessary), do it at the crossover, that will be the easiest.

Each of the 4 components will have a model #. On the drivers it will be on the back of the magnet. What "should" be there is K-77 Tweeter, K-55 Mid, K-33 Woofer. The Crossover's # will be on a metal strip on the EDGE of the crossover's plywood body and "should" be "B2".

Since we think this is an "experimental" Cornwall with a plastic horn all of the "shoulds" may not be so.

A single picture, which is as close to the open back as possible and yet still includes all 4 of the above elements, will probably be good enough, but take as may as seems necessary while you have it open, since this is listening down time!

Just post the one picture here first and if we have other questions the other pictures will be available.

All of this will be interesting, but what I'm most interested in seeing, is the plactic horn. Is it a K-601 or ???

Mike

Mike, will do.

I'm not at home right now, but I'm pretty sure the midrange horn is pebbled or rough... like they came from an unfinished mold as you describe. It sounds and feels like thick plastic when I tap on it... its definitly not formed sheet metal that was painted.

If it is metal, it looks like cast aluminum or magnesium. If I recall you can see the mold seem.

Should I proceed?

BTW, I can save the pics to a shared folder on Yahoo and provide a link or upload them. Which is more preferable?

Bob

----------------

On 3/23/2005 2:35:33 PM Good2BHome wrote:

Bob,

Silversport's description about covers it.

I have one question before you start. Is the surface of the mouth of the Midrange horn Smooth or pebbled (a little rough)?? If it is Smooth proceed to removing the back and opening them up. If it is pebbled/a little rough let us know first.

Removal information:

The screws around the edge of the speaker are all that need to be removed. The wire, from the connection on the INSIDE back to the crossover, is #18 lampcord, very sturdy stuff with sturdy connectors. Just look and go slow and you will have no problems. After the back is off, if you decide to disconnect the wire (which is not necessary), do it at the crossover, that will be the easiest.

Each of the 4 components will have a model #. On the drivers it will be on the back of the magnet. What "should" be there is K-77 Tweeter, K-55 Mid, K-33 Woofer. The Crossover's # will be on a metal strip on the EDGE of the crossover's plywood body and "should" be "B2".

Since we think this is an "experimental" Cornwall with a plastic horn all of the "shoulds" may not be so.

A single picture, which is as close to the open back as possible and yet still includes all 4 of the above elements, will probably be good enough, but take as may as seems necessary while you have it open, since this is listening down time!

Just post the one picture here first and if we have other questions the other pictures will be available.

All of this will be interesting, but what I'm most interested in seeing, is the plactic horn. Is it a K-601 or ???

Mike

----------------

Mike, something tells me I really have metal midrange horns... if I do please forgive my ignorance regarding Klipsch speakers.

----------------

----------------

Its simple to take the backs off.

I bet even when you remove all the screws the back will not fall off. You will have to pull on the terminal strip (where the speaker wires attach) to pry it out.

The nice thing about Klipsch is they made the wires that attach to the terminal strip to the crossover long. Once you get the back off you will be able to lay the back panel on the left side of the speaker so you don'y have to hold it.

On your left you will see the crossover. It will say Type something. Mine says Type B.

The Top Horn (tweeter) maybe K-77

The Middle Horn (midrange) maybe K-55-V

The bottom is the woofer. It may say K-33-E

Once you are done writing all this down, put the back panel in place and start putting all those screws back into place. Don't put alot of torque on them because you don't want to strip them.

Removing the panel is very easy.

Your speakers sound beautiful and I know they sound Great.

danny

----------------

On 3/23/2005 5:01:58 PM bchulett wrote:

Mike, something tells me I really have metal midrange horns... if I do please forgive my ignorance regarding Klipsch speakers.

----------------

----------------

----------------

Bob,

If they are a little rough or pebbled with about a 1/8" - 1/4" seam down each side then they are most probably metal.

The metal Midrange horns were made from two aluminum (I assume) cast halves that were "welded" together. Tap it with a Quarter.

Everone here has learned a great deal from the Forum, so don't feel bad about any question, when you're trying to learn. I have saved many threads over the years to be sources of information and it's humorous to read some of the posts by the the current "gurus". They learned here too.

Now, you are still required to take the back off to complete you initiation to the black art of speaker tweaking.2.gif

Mike

Mike, suddenly I feel like Geraldo Rivera uncovering Al Capones vault... I'm so embarrased. All these years I thought they were plastic. I will proceed and open one of the Cornwalls for my public hazing.

I appreciate all the responses and help... I feel smarter now. On the bright side, I'm a proud original owner of Klipsch Cornwall speakers.

Bob

----------------

On 3/23/2005 8:29:11 PM Good2BHome wrote:

Bob,

If they are a little rough or pebbled with about a 1/8" - 1/4" seam down each side then they are most probably metal.

The metal Midrange horns were made from two aluminum (I assume) cast halves that were "welded" together. Tap it with a Quarter.

Everone here has learned a great deal from the Forum, so don't feel bad about any question, when you're trying to learn. I have saved many threads over the years to be sources of information and it's humorous to read some of the posts by the the current "gurus". They learned here too.

Now, you are still required to take the back off to complete you initiation to the black art of speaker tweaking.
2.gif

Mike

----------------

Danny, thanks for the info... yes, they sound excellent and the finish turned out surprisingly factory like. I hope this isn't taboo among this group, but when I finally decided to finish them, I wanted to match my new Klipsch "satin black" home theatre speakers.

After a full prep, I spray applied 4 coats of epoxy black. Then sprayed 12-coats of Varathane clear satin... with a light color sand between each coat. The depth turned out excellent... they match my new Klispch speakers perfectly.

I wanted my vintage Klipsch Cornwalls flanking the modern Klipsch theatre ensemble with a subtle but profound influence... I'm hopelessly nostalgic at heart. 2.gif

Regards,

Bob

----------------

On 3/23/2005 7:50:11 PM dbflash wrote:

Its simple to take the backs off.

I bet even when you remove all the screws the back will not fall off. You will have to pull on the terminal strip (where the speaker wires attach) to pry it out.

The nice thing about Klipsch is they made the wires that attach to the terminal strip to the crossover long. Once you get the back off you will be able to lay the back panel on the left side of the speaker so you don'y have to hold it.

On your left you will see the crossover. It will say Type something. Mine says Type B.

The Top Horn (tweeter) maybe K-77

The Middle Horn (midrange) maybe K-55-V

The bottom is the woofer. It may say K-33-E

Once you are done writing all this down, put the back panel in place and start putting all those screws back into place. Don't put alot of torque on them because you don't want to strip them.

Removing the panel is very easy.

Your speakers sound beautiful and I know they sound Great.

danny

----------------