Calling the subwoofer experts...

wyattearp

Hello,

Looking at and DIY sub by a nearby HT professional and wanting to run the parts by you all. It's got a custom 3/4 cherry top and constructed of 1.5"MDF w/ "extensive web bracing." Amplifier is Art of Sound's plate amp. Drivers are the Peerless XLS 12" w/ matching passive radiator. Neutrik, XLR, and single ended inputs. Whatever that means... It looks like an end table. Maybe that's why he's selling it.2.gif

----------------

On 3/20/2005 1:53:06 AM Olorin wrote:

Hi Wyatt,

Not to be too smart about it, but how does it sound? I've heard some pretty bad subs made of pretty good parts.

----------------

Haven't heard it yet. Going to attempt to schedule a listening session. Just trying to get a heads-up on the parts/design since I'm new to subs. Subs are quite sensitive to placement in the listening environment, right?

Placement depends on your room, taste and volume.

If it sounds good there, the chances are you will find a suitable placement in your home.

At the worst if it sounds good there and you have placement issues in your room, you can always try for near field - close to your sitting/listening area - placement.

dodger

----------------

On 3/20/2005 11:50:14 AM dodger wrote:

Placement depends on your room, taste and volume.

If it sounds good there, the chances are you will find a suitable placement in your home.

At the worst if it sounds good there and you have placement issues in your room, you can always try for near field - close to your sitting/listening area - placement.

dodger

----------------

That's good, since it looks like and end table! Also looking at some Klipsch stuff that includes speaks that I can use as surrounds, as well as a sub. item#1116354427 on AudiogoN

Thanks Dodger

I actually just modeled the The Peerless XLS 12" in WinISD yesterday...

On the partsexpress website, they claim the design goal was over 105dB at 25Hz in a small cabinet. In WinISD I was able to squeeze out 108dB at 22Hz in a slightly larger cabinet, so it slighly exceeds it's design goals. Though I have never heard one, I can't imagine that it sounds at all bad. It will certainly be lacking in overall SPL, but should be very distortion free (another one of it's design goals).

The driver itself sells for $160. You can read about it yourself here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=297-608&DID=7

Btw, peerless refers to it as the SWR 308 (you'll see that in the pdf).

I think asking $700 is a bit steep considering you could build one yourself for less

(driver $160 + PR $90 + 250W Plate Amp $120 = $370) You could have a professionally built cabinet made for like $200 easy. Make it a 500 watt plate amp and you're looking at $750.

You could get a 15" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER KIT for $690 (free shipping) that would blow it out of the water AND it would be brand new.