Why can't I play my LP's even with my Corn's ?

lwhaples

Hello, I know it's not the Corns but.. Back before I started to upgrade I could play my old LP's . When I got my Pro Audio 's which have twin 15's the

bass went nuts with ZZ Top. This was on my Marantz thru an EQ .So I gave up and just played the FM. With the Cornwalls sounding good on the Fisher,I decided to try the LP's again.Had another turntable,hooked it up and found that it only played on one channel.Again the bass went nuts.

So,I unplugged the Marantz and moved it over to the Corn's hooked it up without an EQ. Played my son's new AC/DC and with the first bass note,the Corn's went nuts. So I GIVE UP,for now with LP's Thanks, Larry

----------------

On 3/20/2005 1:35:18 PM lwhaples wrote:

Hello, I know it's not the Corns but.. Back before I started to upgrade I could play my old LP's . When I got my Pro Audio 's which have twin 15's the

bass went nuts with ZZ Top. This was on my Marantz thru an EQ .So I gave up and just played the FM. With the Cornwalls sounding good on the Fisher,I decided to try the LP's again.Had another turntable,hooked it up and found that it only played on one channel.Again the bass went nuts.

So,I unplugged the Marantz and moved it over to the Corn's hooked it up without an EQ. Played my son's new AC/DC and with the first bass note,the Corn's went nuts. So I GIVE UP,for now with LP's Thanks, Larry

----------------

You shouldn't give up yet! This should be simple to figure out, but I'll need more information. First, are you sure you're using a "phono" input? If not, that's gonna be the problem.

What kind of phono cartridge do you have, moving coil or moving magnet? Make sure the phono input is set up for the correct type of phono cartridge.

What do you mean by "the bass went nuts"? Too much bass or not at all?

Have you tried two different receivers and two different turntables with similar (bad) results?

I'm sure someone here can get to the bottom of this if you'll provide enough good info.

Hello Thanks for replying, Yes on the phono imputs,2 different receivers with 2 different turntables. When I say the bass went nuts, I mean the bass speakers shook with an awful noise. The first bass note on the Corn's was enough for me to stop. Not looking to blow anything. I guess I can try my old Tec.receiver. Larry

Sounds to me like a compatibility problem with cartridge and tonearm. Preamps with infrasonic filters will prevent the woofer from flunctuating like mad, but the best fix is to be sure the cartridge is right for the tonearm. This problem is quite often caused by using a very compliant cartridge in a rather massive tonearm.

It can also be caused by inproper adjustment of the turntable's suspension, or a bouncy platform under the turntable.

Of course, it could be something else altogether.

Dave1.gif

Thanks Dave, One of the turntables I bought at the local record shop,it's an old Marantz but was brand new in the box. Maybe I didn't set it up right. But I did try the other turntable first when I got the Big Pro Audio's . They look like band speakers and never sounded as good as they look. Larry

The problem may not even show up on another speaker. Speakers with lots of bass capability that are ported are most susceptable to showing up turntable/cartridge mis-matches. Klipsch speakers tend to have good, deep bass while most PA type speakers don't, so this problem would be more likely to show up with the Klipsch.

Dave

Do the receivers have settings for MC / MM cartridges? It sounds like you might have a mm (moving magnet) or high output mc (moving coil) cartridge playing through an input set up for a low output mc cartridge. This is not likely, since very few (newer) receivers have these inputs, but it is possible if you're using vintage stuff.

It could also be a case of acoustic feedback, where the tonearm is picking up the airborne sound vibrations the speakers are producing and then amplifying them through the cartridge and back into the speakers. This process can build up quickly and cause uncontrolled feedback. Have you tried locating the turntable somewhere else to see if the problem persists?

Dave

----------------

On 3/20/2005 3:57:52 PM hurdy_gurdyman wrote:

It could also be a case of acoustic feedback, where the tonearm is picking up the airborne sound vibrations the speakers are producing and then amplifying them through the cartridge and back into the speakers. This process can build up quickly and cause uncontrolled feedback. Have you tried locating the turntable somewhere else to see if the problem persists?

Dave

----------------

He's right. If things sound normal until some low frequencies are played at high volume, then you're probably having a feedback problem and should isolate and/or relocate the turntable. Good luck!!

Hello, I went out and hooked up my old Techincs receiver.Now I remember why I upgraded.Anyway,With Marantz turntable and the KG4's on system 2 I can turn it up before I start to hear any breakdown. But with the big spaeakers,Bad right off the bat. So,I decided to try the Marantz with the Marantz hooked up to the Corn's. You can't even start to turn it up. I always felt that the Pro Audios needed more more than I have,so I bought the Corn's. On one setup the turntable is close to the speakers the other one isn't. Thanks for the advise! Larry

hello there i just went thru the exact same problem you are talking about, i had the problem with 2 different tables, the first thing was i had bad rca ends on the turntable interconnects, that was an easy 5.00 fix went to radio shack and bought new ends connected them and all was good for a while(i was able to diagnose the problem as being the rca's by simply moving them around at the connection to the pre, if the sound goes away, or is interupted or changed its a fairly safe bet you have a problem there, next time i had the problem was even simplier to fix it was simply vibrations caused by alot of bass, thus causing the feedback again, isolasted the TT and problem solved. that speaker noise will sure give your heart a jump start though wouldnt you say, i know i freaked out and ran for the controls10.gif Joe

I dont know why it is but most of the phono stages in Europe seem to have sub-sonic filters to stop this kind of thing - whilst those in the States do not.

Tony has got the very same problem at the moment with his setup and I am fairly sure it is the lack of the filter that is the route cause. I dont think it is the platform - he has a very serious isolated rack for the TT.

'Cause - being Tony he is addressing the problem differently - he has ordered a new Table (mine as it happens - but sans loony arm - a wise move in his case - he has the dexterity of a Grizzly with boxing gloves on).