Favorite Films

What is really amazing is how the filmmaker actually got those images in the first one posted, eg. it is not cigar smoke. The second image is obvious = painting directly on film.

Nobody seems to be asking how and where to get the DVD, wouldn't it be super to see this on your HT while listening to your favorite albums? I am thinking there is a wide open market for this kind of stuff......

C&S

----------------

On 3/21/2005 2:12:54 PM D-MAN wrote:

Andromeda Strain

DM

----------------

Speaking of Andromeda Stain, anyone have the vinyl LP of the orig. soundtrack? How do you like it?

C&S

Clipped and Shorn

ok i'll bite, where can you get a dvd like this

How close am I to it being an art film? I picture it to be somthing like a kalydascope (sp?) image that would display across the screen.

And I agree with what the others say it would be like something on acid. haha

I would have no idea of how to guess the artist or artists tho.

Your right I would think that this type of thing would be a big seller.

Then again with the popularity of music vidios I am suprized that they don't market the videos. you would think they would make a dvd of various artest videos packed into one dvd.

Steve

Yes, Harry Smith was a film pioneer and quite an eccentric character, also one of the early hand painters of film. I have seen most of his films at screenings over the years.

Here are some relevant links:

http://www.fredcamper.com/Film/BrakhageS.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000087EYF/102-5629600-0913701?v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002B55WU/102-5629600-0913701?v=glance

The first image is from "Comingled Containers" which is on the DVD. You can see him in the Documentary shooting something like he did on this film.

C&S

----------------

On 3/21/2005 5:52:56 PM mdeneen wrote:

wouldn't it be super to see this on your HT while listening to your favorite albums?

===============

Well, there IS the iTunes "visualizer" with numerous aftermaket effects available for free. Not to mention Aquarium! :-)

mdeneen

----------------

the difference is that there is a filmmaker behind every scene so to speak, so the imagery is a bit more substantial than those machine produced visual musak things, in fact it is the difference between techno-fluff and art, imo. I recently saw a computer produced light show, ecchhh! it was a joke compared to what we used to do at the Avalon and the Filmore back in the day (I used to work with the Ibis Alchemical Company (check the credits on some of the old posters).

Light Show History

My friends were Ben Van Meter and Roger Hilyard, I often helped out at shows.

C&S