Is it soundstage or reflections?

m00n

So last night, I'm out in the theater getting a rare chance to just sit and listen to some good 2 channel music. I'm switching between new age, acoustic guitar, to rock. I notice on several occasions (not really on rock) that I'm hearing what could be perceived as music coming from my surround up on the wall, but, I have surround turned off on my receiver.

So, I guess my question is, what am I hearing? Could it be reflections off the wall or sound stage or most likely a combination of both?

The edge of my RF7s are about 1 foot from the walls, the rear of the RF7s are about 2 feet from the wall behind them. The only acoustic treatments Ive done to the room are the bass traps that I built about a year ago on my rear wall.. The back of my theater of you will.

Also, when I finally get back to acoustically treating my room correctly, and I start putting in absorbers, diffusers and what not where they go, what affect will it have on this? Im hoping it does not take that away. I really enjoy how it sounds, all Id hope for is that perhaps the overall sound could be cleaned up a bit, but not take away the perceived notion of surrounds playing.

Moon Sais...So, I guess my question is, what am I hearing?

=====================================================

Ever just consider your speakers are well positioned...and the recording has a delay in the mix where it should be, by a engineer on the sound board who knew what he was doing?

Thats my guess.

The sound treatment should not take away from this. It might make the room seem a little dead... But your speakers might even enhance the experience in such a room. (Again if propperly placed.)

We do start to get into personal choice here and what U like, too, Moon. Just remeber... enjoy it for you.

Which brings up agreat point.

Everyone thinks I am nuts doing a Karaoke/Home Theater room. I listened, made some adjustments, yes. But ultimately I am building this for me, my family, friends who come over, and those 2-4 times a year you have a big party. (In that order too.) And not for some non Klipsch lovin CEDIA or not person 10-1000's of miles away from me.

There is nothing like a new huge blockbuster movie or music to stir your soul and bring you to joy with what you have Moon. Life is a journey... Enjoy it!

----------------

On 3/24/2005 12:06:29 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Moon Sais...So, I guess my question is, what am I hearing?

=====================================================

Ever just consider your speakers are well positioned...and the recording has a delay in the mix where it should be, by a engineer on the sound board who knew what he was doing?

Thats my guess.

----------------

And that VERY well could be. I'm just wondering is all. Wondering if this is common, wondering if others experiance this as well? I had no idea that sound engineers could perform such trickery.

I will add this as well. Some of you know that I have a set of cornwall cabs waiting to be filled with parts. After siting in my room last night, listening to my DeanG modified RF7s. I'm not holding out much hope for my cornwalls. Those RF7s are just amaizing sounding. Buuuut... We'll see.

There is no way that you could get a discrete reflection still intact at all frequencies to be delayed as much as you describe it in any reasonable space, so I would assume that one of 2 possibilities is occurring:

1) the surround is not actually "off"

2) the sound is from the source, and is not an actual reflection

DM2.gif

m00n,

In my cornwall room, I hear stuff behind me, left and right of my speakers, behind walls, through the ceiling, you name it. A lot has to do with reflections and much has to do with soundstage and the recording. I like it too.

Many say you should try to avoid this and deaden your room to a certain extent but to me, it really can add to the experience. Right now I don't have much on the walls, just a couple paintings and curtains. When I clap I can hear a little echoing which I know is supposed to be bad. I don't worry about it though. Sounds great to me.

I had an experience very much like this at Artto's place. Essentially, it's just a really good mix.

At the same time though, you are most likely experience reflections in your room as well. It's a big combination of everything. In my home environment, My left channel speaker bounces off the right wall and that reflected sound hits my right ear when the direct sound is hitting my left ear. Likewise the right channel bounces off the left wall and puts reflected in my left and direct in my right ear. When switching between direct stereo and Neo 6, it can sometimes be very difficult to tell which mode I'm actually in because my surrounds hit me at the same angle, just from behind (our ears have a hard time determining between front and rear...the fact that the angles are mirror reflections just makes it harder). The effect is really cool when you've got music with that signature 80's snare sound with tons of reverb...it just fills the room.

Adding acoustic treatments WILL change the signature of these reflections...for better or for worse is up to you to decide.

My system is set up on the short wall of a 15 X 35 foot room. Then it encounters a freestanding fireplace open to the sound room and the kitchen. Sitting perpendicular in a nook adjaecent to the kitchen and you cannot discern whether the sound originates from the kitchen or the sound room. It's freaky!!6.gif

• 3 weeks later...