Where do the Speaker Go for 7.1?

Mikie

With 5.1 I think I understood speaker arrangement (2 mains & a center up front, 2 rears behind the listener on either side, and a sub). But how does the arrangement change with 7.1? From what I've read it appears that there's no change to the mains, center, or sub. Where do the rears or surrounds go? If anyone has a link describing placement I'd appreciate it.

Yes in a 7 speaker setup the two additional speakers are behind the listener.

The surrounds are to the side. If you have the surrounds on the sides behind

just leave them there and place the one (6.1) or two (7.1) rear speakers

between them.

I recently went from a 5.1 to a 7.1 system. Yes, the back surrounds go in back to the left and right. The "school" says the side surrounds should flank the listening position. Mine are arranged so. But if your room permits, I recommend that you place them slightly FORWARD of the listening position.

My particular room does not permit that, but I can hear a noticeable difference when I stand behind my sofa sweet seat, ergo, putting my ears two feet or so behind that position. The side surrounds really bloom there.

Please take your time and experiment with such positionings before you run your wiring in final. Trust your ears.

Mine are Klipsch RS-35's which if you deal you should be able to get for under $500/pair. They have a wide-dispersion design that would be ideal for your setup. See attached pic of my rear setup.

You could put the two back surrounds on the back wall slightly above your seats and dial them down to a low volume through your receiver/processor so they don't overwhelm. Put the two sides two-three feet forward of the line of your seats, as I recommended.

I do not have firsthand experience with in-wall or -celing speakers so can't comment on that.

Tom

post-10590-13819263738162_thumb.jpg