Baldwin 6550 amps

3dzapper

Just got off the phone with the seller, Guitarampski. I learned a bit of history on these.

They came from a Baldwin Model 12 organ at Purdue University. The manuals had like 36 of these. The output trannys are heavier and larger than Mark IIIs and the wattage is higher. He thinks in the 85 watt range(?).

Cathodes drive the output tubes.

What would be the name of that driver circuit topology?

'Cathode Follower,' which can provide good (low) output impedance matching with the next stage. Cathode followers are sometimes used as a 'buffer' between stages for impedance matching purposes only, since they don't offer voltage gain.

SRPP is another possibility.

Hmmmm....

This makes me think about something: I've seen cathode followers or a feedback incorporating variation on this called the White cathode follower used as low output impedance buffers in 'passive' preamplifiers. With passives, there is often a problem of high output impedances (resulting from the value of the potentiometer being used)trying to drive the high capacitances of long runs of interconnect, and the use of a zero-gain cathode follower can offset the capacitance issues by providing very low output impedances -- very much like a transformer-coupled passive switch box/attenuation device (aka 'passive preamp').

while cathode follower driver and even output stages (a few examples of which I have seen)present usefully low output impedances, they do have some other 'issues.' In any event, I really look forward to hearing what you have to say about the Baldwin Monoblocks. I enjoyed Craigs Baldwin very much, and a monoblock pair could have certain advantages. Neat!

Erik