TEF analysis versus using the more typical MLS

formica

You might note the mention of Paul, the Khorn and corner placement of speakers on page 8...

After hearing so many express so many opinions, both pro and con regarding LEDE rooms I am rather curious to know upon just what they are based... The topology is still considered current, with the exact relationship of some of the measurements being subject to an evolving correlation between 'measurements' and the pyscho-acoustics of the perceived sound.

In fact one could easily say that, in its current form, that it is still the pre-eminent acoustical format. But before many jump on this and say "but what about...", one must understand that for differing classes of acoustical spaces and differing uses (spoken word, music, mixed use,...) that the relationships vary as well. So to compare one against the other or to argue regarding errant application of pronciples by someone who 'misapplied' concepts is to beg the point! A job done incorrectly is a job done wrong! A moot point.

---------------------------

And here are a few observations guaranteed to step on a few emotional toes, although it would be nice if any resultant discussions remained civil and within the realm of objective

And to refer to another track regarding THX certification... While they may certify that equipment is capable of playing at (their classified) parameters (sorry, but I am always wary of someone who makes huge claims but won't tell you what specifications it is exactly that the claims substantiate!), but the physics fundamentals remain the same!

If one wishes to engage in attaching a label for marketing purposes, that is certainly their perogative! But in order to create an optimal acoustic environment, both an understanding of the principles and access to the proper tools, make the identification of problems requiring remediation, as well as the steps that when taken actually achieve the desired results, MUCH more easily realized.

(PS. I am determined to ferret out the actual specs from friends who are certified to certify THX...of course they will have the excuse of being taken advantage of under the influence of beer and magaritas! When I do I will try to forward them on to you folks...But folks, its all about licensing and money! And those STP stickers sure make MY car go faster!)

And so it is with so many of the questions here relating to the "I have this room problem" and the wealth of suggested solutions. They may all be right or wrong based upon an accurate assessment of the problem. And those that are incorrect in that particular situation may be perfectly justified in a similar but different situation. But without knowing more information, it is hard to make a definative recommendation. It is with regards to this ignorance of the exact cause that I hesistate to suggest "the correct" remediation to a problem.

And while general guidelines can be followed, and rules of thumb beneficially applied, I might suggest that one of the cheapest investments one can make in this world of:

exotic cables exhibiting advanced directional and material meta-physics,

cosmic ray absorbers,

organic based sound enhancers (& while my personal endorsement goes to margaritas, I will defer to others' preferences here! In fact, this may be the most effective of all the aftermarket accessories you might invest in! ;-),

1 meter exotic AC power cords that function as regulated current sources,

and so many other solutions justified in sooo many mystical ways in a world where we are more often limited by the program source then by any other link in the chain,

etc.!,

that the single best investment in the listening environment next to the speaker itself, is that of the room and its interaction with the speaker(s).

Therefore I might suggest that one consider having your listening environment analysed and treated before you spend many times the price of the analysis on exotic magical products.

If we can remove the 'environmental' factors as a destructive source of interference we can get back to listening to the source as it was captured. And then we are free to enjoy or lament the manifested attempt to capture the acoustic event. And as my personal bias is to simply try to enable the accurate reproduction of the recorded signal, I will leave it to others to try to to 're-engineer' the source!

Good luck and have fun! ;-)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/8/2005 1:57:00 PM dragonfyr wrote:

You might note the mention of Paul, the Khorn and corner placement of speakers on page 8...

----------------

A testament to PWK's good engineering and experiments ...

----------------

Man, look at those typos and grammatical (and as some will maintain, logical) errors! If only the TEF dealt with that!
9.gif11.gif

----------------

There is another software called WORD that will do it, but it doesn't perform very well on any acoustic measurement tests. 3.gif9.gif (I couldn't resist... but in all honesy... Being worse myself... I didn't really notice. 2.gif)

BTW, the link for "F98Newsletter Nyquist.pdf" on the first page doesn't work, maybe due to the space in the file name? I'm making my way through the attachements...

Thanks again for ALL the info...

Rob