Decorator Cornwall SCORE!

cyclonecj

"I guess maybe all Klipsch raw birch horn speakers were considered "Decorator" models, no matter how they were constructed "

Not necessarily, From Andy's post, I get that the LaScala was mainly produced as Birch, Raw, but were not Decorator models. The main point is that as production and marketing progressed, the 'Decorator' oringinally a totally stripped down box with components, began to take on more and more of the normal production model attributes- i.e. recessed motor board, detachable grille, etc.

The main telltale difference is the lack of hardwood veneer and the butt joint assembly of the Decorators, that is one this that remained consistent, so the main panel cuts were decidedly different (standard production was mitre cuts in hardwood veneer material.)

Make sense?

Michael

----------------

On 4/2/2005 11:56:27 PM cyclonecj wrote:

Woodog:

Do your grill covers only have the one hole for high & mid?

----------------

I looked at the covers this morning, and I correct myself. There are just two openings, just like yours. Must be a factory option.

Forrest

Thanks Tom. That sounds exactly like what I have. Good to know they have not been modified too much.

I just wish I had caught the driver problem earlier, even though I know I still got a good deal. Even with that, they still sound great.

Started stripping off the beige paint. Turns out there is white under it!

IMG_1975.JPG

& the white won't come off... it's in there deep.

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

I actually had to resort to a belt sander... Nothing I had would take off the white. Must have been some kind of primer. But the cabinet is in EXCELLENT shape!!

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

Thanks guys. I am hoping they turn out ok. Remember, my woodworking skills are not so great, but at least I have a nice cabinet to start with.

As for the speed, I could not stand seeing that beige paint any longer. Not only was it a bad color, but it was not even a good paint job!

Wow great to see another set of Cornwalls getting a second chance!! Please keep us updated on the progress.

I will add to the Cornwall Decorator history by saying that mine have a flush motorboard and two port openings. By the time that I got them there were not any logos on them. I sanded and painted them a flat black which I think came out rather nice. I plan on adding a half grill to cover the woofer but keep the horns exposed.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 4/6/2005 12:01:27 PM eq_shadimar wrote:

I sanded and painted them a flat black which I think came out rather nice. I plan on adding a half grill to cover the woofer but keep the horns exposed.

----------------

I would love to see pics of this. After this I plan on doing a center channel out of an empty corn cabinet, & it will be black to match the TV etc. That one will be a much bigger challenge, since the cabinet is in very bad shape. I may even re-do the motorboard to rotate the horns.

----------------

On 4/6/2005 12:10:29 PM cyclonecj wrote:

I would love to see pics of this. After this I plan on doing a center channel out of an empty corn cabinet, & it will be black to match the TV etc. That one will be a much bigger challenge, since the cabinet is in very bad shape. I may even re-do the motorboard to rotate the horns.

----------------

I have not completed the grills yet but I have ordered the grill holders and grill cloth from Parts Express so it won't be long now! In the meantime feel free to look at my system profile for pictures of my system or simply click here

Here are some pictures (not the best but you get the idea)

1976%20CW%20top.jpg

1976%20CW%20front.jpg

The woofers are starting to look gray, I have often wondered if there was some way to dye them.

Laters,

Jeff