what would watch first

dtel

• Moderators

I have never seen any of the star wars movies or lotr. Wanted to know where to start , should i skip some of the first movies . Never really liked star trek so i skiped star wars , i know they are not the same it just happened that way . To tell you the truth most of the time my kids { in their 20s } are the ones to go to the video store. What do you think ? Thanks sorry forgot to ad you to the title

----------------

On 4/3/2005 11:05:15 AM dtel wrote:

I have never seen any of the star wars movies or lotr. Wanted to know where to start , should i skip some of the first movies.

----------------

For Star Wars, I'd start with the original one (the one that came out in 1978), and watch the original trilogy (New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi). It can be found on DVD now. Then, for the backstory, and such, watch the newer two (and see the third one when it hits the theater on the 19th of May). You'll see that the original three are much better, in my opinion, than the two newer ones. However, this third one (Return of the Sith) is really starting to look good, from the trailers I've seen. I'll find out on the 19th of May (I guess I'll see if I can get some advanced tickets at the theater here).

For Lord of the Rings, you really need to start with the first one, Fellowship of the Ring. There is no way to get out of it, unless you are already familier with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Even still, if you've not seen the movies, but have read the books, start with the first one.

I'm a huge fan of the original three. Just rented Phantom Menace last night to try out the 7.1 system (pod race scene). More wooden acting you will never find. It's like they just threw a script together and didn't have anyone read the lines first. That Jar Jar Binks character is just plain annoying and the attempt to have different universe dialects just pitiful. I wouldn't waste money on them. Even after decades, the acting and special effects are better on the original three IMHO.

LOTR great for effects, but a bit bloody for children. How bout Finding Nemo- something for everyone, or Yellow Submarine?

Michael

----------------

On 4/3/2005 11:53:17 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

..."How bout Finding Nemo- something for everyone, or Yellow Submarine?"

Michael

----------------

Naw...go see "Pink Floyd: The Wall" on DVD!9.gif

• Moderators

Thanks for the help, thats just what i will do. The only dvds i buy are concerts for the wife and i , and all of the kid movies for the grandkids and us. Rent the rest on one of those $24 a month , all you can watch 2 at a time deals. Saves a bunch and don't feel as bad when you bring home a bad one.