Mundorf PIO caps

Number 9

• 1 month later...

Well I decided to try and give these a whirl in my Forte IIs, in the midrage.

I ordered a pair of 1.5uF caps from www.audiyo.com

I put my Fortes within two feet of each other, about 3 feet from the back wall. Set my McIntosh amp to mono, and use the balance control to switch between the two speakers. One with the Mundorf in the midrange xover, the over with an Auricap.

I did not spend hours listening for nuances. The differences were quite clear to me after listening to only a few CDs. I focused on those with vocals I am famiiar with ... Louis Armstrong (The Great Summit: Master Takes with Louis Armstrong), Norah Jones, Diana Krall.

The vocals on the Auricap'd Forte were evidently drier and colder. Supprising, since the Auricaps have a reputation for being somewhat a warm cap.

The Mundorf had a smoother, more detailed but nice warm presentation. The voices floated from the box more freely. I can see someone who loves SET amps and what they do in the midrage, really liking these, or perhaps it could turn out to be too much of a good thing.

The difference was not huge whereby I could not tolerate the Auricap anymore, but on close listening, to my ears was fairly easy to discern.

They are expensive, not as much as the Jensens, and are also big, barely fitting onto the crossover, but I give them a thumbs up.

As always, this is only MHO, and YMMV.

Well its good to hear that I am not alone.

maybe more people should give the Mundorfs a try. I have not tried Hovlands or Jensens, which seem to be the favorite caps on the discussion board here, but the Mundorfs should be considered too IMO, given they are a step up to Auricaps, which many say are excellent in their own right.