trouble with sub

fourbye99

Hi,I am having problem with keeping Bass.I don't know if it is my amp,or sub?

My system set up :

amp: pioneer VSX-47TX elite

speakers:Klipsch reference,except sub,it is synercy

2-RB25's front L/R

1-RC25 center

4-RS35's surrounds

1-KSW10 sub

My problem is my bass.At worst,it's tumpy low bass on strong bass sounds.From movies,music. At best(after I play with amp settings)lots of deep bass(almost too much).This is better than none.What ever I do does not stay.Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong,or tell me here I can go for info to correct this?

I have tried setting and re-setting my amp.This is what I tried :

-In the channel setting- I set sub to +10,down to zero,to -10.

-In speakers system setting-set all speakers to small,then all to large,and in this setting ,for the sub I set it to "yes",or tried "plus".

-In expert set up- I played with the Bass Peak Level setting.I set this at

zero,mostly.I tried it once at +8.I don't like playing with this,I don't know what is realy is for.Even after taking to the pioneer tech support.

All is temporary,the setting never seams to stay.I lose bass.

Am I thinking of the sub,wrong.I thought the sub was suppose to provide bass

for all uses,or is it only for 5.1 use?If so I could use towers for the front,

for music.It seams the sub works better on 5.1,than music.

The only other dealing I have with a sub is with my Bose acoustimass 15's.

All the cubes connect to the sub ,then to the amp.These still wrok good on my old system in the other room.I get good bass ,for movies,and music.

Help ME Ohbie Wan Canobie,you're My only Hope! Thank for your time reading

all this.You will be rewarded,for your good deed,somehow.

fourbye99@yahoo.com

Welcome to the forum. Have you calibrated your system with an SPL meter and disc such as Avia? If not, start there. After you calibrate everything and still have a problem, let us know. It can't be done properly by ear. Start off choosing "small" for your speaker selection and follow the disc.

Thanks for your input. I never heard of these items. SPL meter,Avia disc?Where do you get these,and how do I use them? I"ve tried the auto set up .I use to be up on hi-fi,when it was just stereo,now with 5.1 subs it's all new.I just want to turn on my system and have it sound good! I think I have a good system,it may not be the best.Like my Dad says "it is what it is"

With the receivers we have now, plug and play is not an option. An SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter is used to measure the sound pressure (volume) of each individual speaker (and sub). The goal of using this meter is to have all speakers at the same level in the main seating position. The meters can be found at Radio Shack for around $50.00. An Avia disc is a disc played in your DVD player that will walk you through audio and video calibration. Proper calibration is essential for your system to sound good in your environment. It's not as hard as it sounds. Just google Avia and you should find plenty of places on line that sell the disc. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Set your speakers to Large. You may need to connect to both left and right inputs on the subwoofer. Make sure the crossover settings on your receiver match your subwoofer setting (if they are not you will get bad bass). I recommend setting it to 100 Hz or 120 Hz (whichever sounds better to your ears).

After these adjustments, you should not need to push the sub's level past 12:00 position.

Let me know what happens.

No! If the sub is connected to the receiver with the RCA cable, then bass management is being done in the receiver. Set the speakers (ALL of them) to Small and let the sub handle the bass.

If the subs are connected via speaker cables (rarely done, and usually done with 2 or more subs) then those channels (and only those channels) that are connected to the subs - usually the mains - are set to Large to use the sub's crossover.

----------------

On 4/7/2005 6:14:18 PM dBLimit wrote:

Set your speakers to Large. You may need to connect to both left and right inputs on the subwoofer. Make sure the crossover settings on your receiver match your subwoofer setting (if they are not you will get bad bass). I recommend setting it to 100 Hz or 120 Hz (whichever sounds better to your ears).

----------------

With your particular receiver and speakers you should set them to small (I don't know your exact options for the VSX-47). Do not connect any left and right outputs to your sub. Use the sub out connection via RCA. Let the receiver handle the bass management. And if the crossover frequency is user selectable, set it to under 100 Hz. I don't mean to disagree so much...