Cornwall competion

Jim Cornell

Its looking to me that the Chorus 2s would be just as good as having the cornwalls!!!

As far as sound, and in comparison, to the cornwalls!!

Now, did the chorus replace the cornwalls, or were they running at the same time?

I do know, the chorus werent quite built, like the cornwalls!!

Chorus, and fortes, were classified also as heritage!

Where are the chorus owners, i see no posts on them!!

NO im not selling my cornwalls, for the chorus!! LOL

Ive seen some good reviews on the chorus, thats all!

Regards Jim

Here's a Chorus I owner. However, I haven't heard the Cornwalls and the Chorus side by side. I can tell you that the Chorus I have a very large sound to them, and are ported (like Cornwalls are). Also, the Cornwall II (the one made after 1985) and the Chorus I share the same tweeter and midrange. (Cornwall could make a nice center for a pair of Chorus - LOL).

DD

I have Chorus II's & Cornwall II's. The Chorus did replace the Cornwall. Apparently more "modern" looking. The Chorus is a great speaker but, I prefer the sound of the Cornwall, it goes deeper. There seems to be some debate as to whether the Chorus/Forte/Quartet line was Heritage or not. Klipsch says no, but these speakers were designed while PWK still owned the company. It's also interesting to note that PWK has multiple pairs of these in his home along with the other Heritage speakers. I don't think he would have someone else's designs in his home.

Tony

Tony - I remember asking a Klipsch employee (who shall remain anonymous, but you know him/her) about this, and he/she said that indeed PWK was involved in the Forte design. I didn't ask about the Chorus/Quartet as I had just bought the Forte's and was thinking only of myself (selfish, I know), but since they are of the same era I would speculate that they were also PWK-inspired.

DD

Doug:

That's my feeling as well. When I went to PWK's birthday party, I noticed that The Klipsch's closest friends have Chorus's. (as well as others) Knowing Mr. Paul, (to a small degree) I don't think he (or his friends) would have that unless he had some "attachment" to them.

Tony

This message has been edited by Tony Reed on 08-27-2001 at 02:39 PM

Doug i would have to agree!! I can not say mine are better!!

Built better maybe, thats prabably it! Now being a 4 cornwall owner, i bet you guys are surprised im admitting this! LOL!!!

Chorus would be less room, but to me there not quite the original heritage!

Niether is the HERESY 2S!!

my own biased opinion!!

I do think the chorus are a dynamite looking speaker, kinda like the KG4 on steriods!!

They also look like the Fortes!!

And i did notice, that most Chorus outsell the cornwall, on E-BAY!

Another nice, discontinued line of speakers!!

Still wonder why!

Regards JIM

I've had a good bit of side by side comparison of Cornwall I's and Chorus I's. They do have different personalities, but both have a distinct "Klipsch sound."

IMHO:

1) The main difference I hear is the Cornwalls tend to have a horn sound with a "longer projection" in the midrange and treble and tend to sound better at a distance compared to the Chorus. The Cornwall sounds more midrange foward. Conversely, the Chorus tends to have a "shorter projection" and sound quite good at close range - you don't have to get back from them like you do the Cornwalls, K-horns, La Scalas, and Heresys. I guess it's a tractix horn verses an exponential horn sound.

2) The Cornwalls have deeper, fuller bass, but the Chorus have tighter bass.

3) Subjectively, the Chorus tend to have a smoother sound in the mids and highs compared to the Cornwalls - kind of in between cone speakers and exponential horn drivers. I haven't seen response curves, but the Chorus probably have a smoother frequency response than the Cornwalls.

4) My personal preference is for the Cornwall sound, but both are desirable and I wouldn't argue in the least if someone preferred the sound of the Chorus. If someone wanted some efficient speakers, but were not "into horn sound", I would recommend the Chorus over the Cornwalls.

My 2 cents.

Warm Reagards,

KG

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-27-2001 at 02:47 PM