Flight of the Phoenix (2004)

ygmn

I searched...and cannot beleive I am the first to bring this up...

watched last night...DTS 5.1....

AMAZING....much different the original....in a good way....

I love the original...and this remake was good as well....

exciting...greta music....great sound effects in dts...average to above avg acting....lots of sand...

and giovanni Ribisi...(sp)...was great as the wormy airplane engineer guy....

Some good stuff...for all to see...

Well I am generaly VERY easy to please and probably to a fault. I seldom critique movies but having prefaced this with that; this movie was boring at times. I thought the writing and editing left a lot to be desired. Probably more so the editing. We started to watch the some of the extra's but my wife was really wanting to get to sleep so I cut that short, but you could tell from some of the extended scenes that didnt make the cut that the writing is at least partly to blame.

********SPOILER**********

Example of poor writing in the extended scene I saw was when the model airplane designer was coming up with the idea of having the people lay flat on the wings . The scene was stupid even by my standards as he explained that clearly someone wouldnt survive and thats why there was one short on his drawing, and then one guy gets shot later. I thought that scene was very melodramatic as well.

The scene that started me wondering about the editing was when Quades character went looking for the guy that wondered off, they sort of chopped that scene up and showed a glimpse of the guy who wondered off because the audiance had no way to know which guy it was since his character had no impact on the movie. Something about the way that scene was edited was nasty. Another was when they had to dig the Phoenix out, one minute the guy bends over to start and the next they are dragging that plane across the desert.

Sorry to be so critical and believe it or not I was OK with the movie but mainly because of the PQ and SQ. When I start noticing things like I mentioned then it MUST be a poor movie because I never notice.

I give it 1 out of 5