Forte repair and 5.1 suggestions

bitece

I have a pair of 1985 Klipsch Forte's. Both back passive radiators have paper cones and they both are dented (pushed in). Is there a way I could return them to their original condition? Does it affect the sound? I was thinking of using a vacuum's suction to try and pull them back to their original condition. I've had them since 1986 and just recently started using them for a 5.1 system.

My current set-up, well, it stinks--on ice. I'm embarrassed to admit a Cambridge center channel and subwoofer and a pair of Bose cube satellites for the rears and a Yamaha 800 as a a receiver.

I'm upgrading the entire system--I just bought the Rotel 1068 pre and 1075 5 channel amp. I've auditioned a bunch of expensive speakers and I've come to realize that these Forte's still sound good. What would be a good center channel and surrounds to match the Fortes?

The dented dust caps won't hurt the sound quality, and really don't do much if they are on a passive speaker with no voice coils to protect. However if you wish to try, use a strong vacuum. I used my shop vac with good results. Just have one hand ready to cut the power if needed. Also maybe wrap a layer of duct tape backwards around your fingers and try pulling out with the tape.

I too once had Bose cubes as my surrounds, but now I can actually ear my rear effects.3.gif

I've successfully extracted a dust cover dent by bending a thin paper clip into a "pull bar" and sticking it through the dust cover in the center of the dent, then using it to pull the dent out. Then I patched the hole with a dollop of Elmer's glue, and touched it up with a black permanent marker. Worked fine - but that was after I tried the other suggestions to no avail.

Your best center and surrounds, as mentioned, are more Forte's. Next best would be the "selling for its weight in gold" Academy (center). Then maybe a KLF-C7 (center) and then a Heresy. I've heard the Heresy between 2 Forte's, and I found the match acceptable.

I had the luck to purchase two pairs of Forte's in the mid-80's. They have more than sufficed for my 2-channel music needs over the years.

Now that HT is front and center(no pun intended), I'm finding that my Forte's are perfect for my HT in my 18' by 25' room.

As I did not want to pay the $$'s for an Academy, I have opted for a second-hand KLF-C7 and couldn't be happier. It gets the job done up front, between the Fortes.

I can't offer any 1st-hand experiences on the passive woofer repair, but I've heard the vacuum and/or paper-clip repairs do work.

I've said this on other threads before, but I wouldn't hesitate to give a KG 2.2, or 2.5 a try as a center between those Forte's. I have Forte's as mains, and KG 2.2's all the way around (Surrounds, rear and front center.) A pair of 2.2's can be grabbed for less than 200 bucks on ebay. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have ForteIIs as mains and have an academy center with two KG1.5s as surrounds. Also helps that I have a SVS subwoofer.

I agree with fletch, the KG line matches pretty well with the Forte speakers. But, if you can afford an Academy it's an awesome center channel speaker. Otherwise KG. Sure, more Forte as surrounds sounds good; but few rooms can accomodate; if so KGs

The vacuum worked pretty well. The dust covers are almost completely extended and round again. Now I'm looking for Fortes or KG2.2's for surround speakers. And to think I was going to spend $4200 for a Von Schweikert theater system!

I have an Academy center, L&R Forte, Forte surrounds, and KG2 rears. Could not be happier, especially since my crossover upgrades. This system has such incredible detail and clarity now, it's like listening to everything for the first time.

KG2 will work in a pinch for a center between Forte's, and are at a reasonable price point. I tried these before my Academy, and had good success.

Chris

I might also add, do NOT try to use Heresys between Forte's, the timbre mismatch is substantial, and the result is awful. In particular, I tried a Heresy II as a center between my Forte's, and it was lousy. Just mentioning this since you suggested you might try it, some messages back.

Chris

One more thing. There is a KG 2 and also a 2.2 and a 2.5. The 2.2 or 2.5 are much better for center duty than the 2. Also, Klipsch made a Video shielded version of the 2.2 and the 2.5. They will have a model number of 2.2v or 2.5v. A regular 2.2 will distort your picture if you mount it too closely to a standard CRT TV.