SVS PC-Ultra or SVS CS-Ultra

vl3rd

Which of these two subs should I get? I know their performance is probably nearly identical but the CS-Ultra is $150 more and comes with an external amp. The PC-Ultra of course has a built in amp that employs BASH technology (if that matters at all), and is supposedly designed just for that sub. It also has a built in equalizer and looks like it has more features than the Samson S-1000 amp that comes with the CS-Ultra package. So which one, PC-Utra or CS-Ultra?

Have you called SVS regarding this?

I was a bit surprised by their techs whose first question when I originally queried them was, "Why aren't you going with the in pci (integrated) ultra?"

I had anticipated their suggesting the separates albeit with more to deal with in the form of external crossover, etc.

After dealing with both, I would suggest the integrated version. I never thought I would be recommending this topology over separates, and if you spring for the separates, be sure to spend the extra money for the crown amp!

But the BASH integrated amp is well matched with the unit, plus the crossover is pretty decent. I don't think you can go wrong with the pci version, and the SVS people think so too.

It has been a long journey for me with SVS. I didn't initially want to like them, but despite every emotional reason I had to try to find something better in their price range, and short of going with the velodyne HGS-18 series 2 or the DD18 (my other subs - as they keep up nicely with the Klipsch with extremely low extension, distortion and a very nice flat response), I don't think you can do better then the SVS pci ultra for the money. But I am sure that there will be many that will try! So I will shut up and make way for them!

Oh, and I suggest you start with one. Unless you are like me, you will probably end up like so many others and sending back the other one or selling it... Personally, I suspect that even if it were justified, that there is someting genetic about me that prevents that! Besides, they are fun to rearrange the furniture like with the old vibrating elecronic football games in the 60's or to spook the cat.

So plan on Enjoying them - you will!

1.gif

PC-Ultra without a doubt. It has 25 more watts than the Samson 1000 (500x2, can not be bridged) amp, and its a lot cheaper to buy than the CS-Ultra Plus amp. Plus, the PC has a built in single node PEQ, crossover control, phase and gain. You'll ahve to buy an extra componet (SVS Amp Interface)to get phase, crossover with the CS's which adds 160 more dollars to the price. Then if you want EQ, you can spend 400 more for a nice 5 node PEQ.

Between the 2, The PCUltra definately. Unless you're just hung up on a cylinder, I'd get the PB12Plus/2. For $50.00 more, it spanks the Ultra in output and SQ is right there. I've had them both and would take the +2 over the PCU hands down.