What receiver for RF-7's

radchad3

Alright, I posted this a little earlier in the form of "Is the 1014/15 an ok receiver for the 7's. I have made my mind up on these speakers but would like to spend as little as possible on the receiver as I want to upgrade to separates in a few years. What receiver would be the best to power these speakers without have to worry about clipping. Are there any that push down to 2-3 ohms better than others? Looking at receivers in the <$700 price range!! (street price)

Examples that I am thinkg of include:

Onkyo Tx-sr702

Denon AVR-2805

Pioneer 1015 (possibly)

H/K AVR 435

Others?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I will be getting my speakers in a week or so and I want to order a receiver for the job!!! Thanks!! Chad

PS: some have said all these would work and that it will not be a problem, but then others say that I need extra juice. Any calrification on this would also be welcomed!!

I must suggest the JVC RX-F10. jr.com sells them delivered for$229.00. I found two of them on close out at my local Video Only for $159.00 each. These little receivers use JVC's "digital hybrid feedback" amplifiers, which are well suited to handle the RF-7's impedance dips. They push out smooth, clean bass down as low as the 7 will go. I think you'll be happy with one of these, at least to hold you over until you get some killer seperates.

JVC ? No offense but I would not hook a jvc to my rf7's,well maybe a very old one for a short time.The 7s are picky w/very good gear.I saw the Onkyo 802 for $598 delivered about a month ago,still a no go.For $700 you could get a 3805 used if you look/wait.For less than $650 you can get a new HK 630 delivered,for $750 a 635 delivered.Of the ones mentioned the HK or Denon would be the only ones I'd consider.When you upgrade you will get most of your money back w/a good unit.

Thanks everyone for their input!! If I put the receiver to the 80 or even 100hz cross over, will this keep these lower frequencies (which are the harder to drive) to the sub and keep them away from the receiver's amps?? Again this will be somewhat temporary as I would like to get an external amp in a year or two!! Also I saw a Marantz sr7400 for $650, how would this compare to the Denon/ HK. Thanks again everyone for the input!! Chad

I'm now waiting till the new Yamaha RXV 4600 is available and buying it and my Rf7s together. But a 5890 will run the 7s nicely for a receiver. You really need to go out and listen to as many of these choices as you can and see which combination sounds the best to you.

----------------

On 4/12/2005 5:10:43 PM Fish wrote:

JVC ? No offence but I would not hook a jvc to my rf7's,well maybe a very old one for a short time.The 7s are picky w/very good gear.----------------

I can see your point. The JVC brand name doesn't conjure much of an audiophile aura. But the RX-F10 is not your typical sounding JVC receiver. The Sonic Impact, Teac, and other digital amps are getting a lot of attention from audiophiles lately. This little JVC "digital" is also getting glowing reviews, especially for it's ability to drive difficult speakers. OTH, the mid-level receivers in the 500 to 1000 dollar range that use more traditional amplification don't seem to be generating much excitement. I don't see the point in forking out the extra cash for something that's temporary, and possibly not any better.

I am currently using this little JVC receiver with my RF-7. It's smooth, detailed, warm, and extends down to lower bass tones than I previously thought the RF-7's could produce in my listening room. I haven't tried any really high end amps, so I'm not saying the JVC could compete head to head with the good stuff (although some folks do say that.)

As for my limited experience, I've had a Parasound high current amp, a Sherwood tube integrated, a Creek integrated, a couple of Panasonic digital amps, a cheap RCA receiver, and a cheap Sony receiver on my RF-7s. Previous to the JVC, they ranked from best to worst as follows 1. Panasonic 2. Sherwood tube 3. Creek 4. Parasound. The RCA and Sony tied for a very distant 5th. They were hopeless. The Parasound was pretty strident and hashy, but at least it wasn't completely flat and lifeless. The Sherwood tube was full and warm sounding, but had vague imaging and loose bass. It was quite pleasant, but when I tried the Panasonic, I knew the Sherwood's time was over. The Pansonic really blew my mind, with splendid detail and clarity. Unfortunately, it had no real guts with the RF-7s, making the 7s sound a little brighter and lighter than they should. The bass was there, even annoying at times because of room modes, but it didn't fill out all the frequencies enough, or go down very far. I even tried passive biamping with a couple of Panasonics, but it didn't help. The JVC gives up little if anything in the way of detail and clarity to the Panasonic, and it's got some impressive guts for such a small package.

You could get a Pioneer 1014/1015 and a Crown XLS-402, no sense waiting for seprates. I run crown amps for my THX ultra 2s, they sound great together.

Just make sure whatever you get has pre-amp outs, so adding an amp is a simple chore.