Ye Ole Painful Reality is selling stuff again! (like khorns plus some other things...)

A baby on the way, lots of repairs and mods to be done on the house and the itch for a new racing bike have broken my determination NOT to sell my surplus audio stuff anymore. But I need the cash and there are limit to the floor space I can occupy in the house with this audio hobby...

So I'm a bit reticent but my Rosewood Khorns are available. My living room will be split in a smaller living room and a baby's room. I'm far from being sure that having khorns in a small room is the ticket to audio Nirvana so while it breaks my heart, I'll let them go. Greg Roberts did a superb job of reveneering them. Asking price is $2 500 USD and I'm reticent enough that these are pick up only. There is no way I'm packing and shipping these. I'd be eventually open to consider a trade against a pair of mint wlanut Cornwalls I or II (the old models) plus an amount of cash that would be yet to determined. In case one never saw those beauties, here they are.

rwkhorn%2042.jpg

Time to trim the number of amps and preamps that keep piling up here.

My pair of Seth PP2A3 are available for $2700 USD. You can read more about this amp on the MagneQuest website. You will need a preamp with a low output impedance to really get the most of this amp. I do not suggest that you consider this amp if you have a preamp with an higher output impedance than 800 ohms.

lessard_2a3pp_latest_575.jpg

Of course if you absolutely want the Seth and do not have a low output impedance, I have one!!! This is a really sharp little IT coupled preamp using a choke loaded WE417A (or any 5842) with permalloy output transformers. Output Z is 500 ohm. Volume control is provided by two mono stepped attenuators are provided. Chassis is in flame maple with a copper top plate.

Asking price is $1700 USD (tubes not included).

preamp_external1_900.jpg

You can email me for details at jeff.lessard@sympatico.ca. Don't PM me as I never think to look if I have received these.

Edit... OK it would help to know I live in Quebec City (Canada) in order to decide if the drive to pick up is feasable.

Quebec City is located 5-6 hours North of Boston. It's really similar to Boston with a European feel. That can be a good occasion to bring the missie to a romantic week-end. Lots of outstanding restaurants around.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to be troublesome but, DON'T DO IT!!! I sold Khorns once......cried the moment I listened to the replacements and they were RF 7's. You couldn't replace rosewood horns for under 10K new. Anyway, sorry if I've caused anyone any problems. I'll go burn my hand on the stove now.14.gif11.gif9.gif

----------------

On 4/12/2005 12:04:46 PM sunnysal wrote:

my manual gives input impedance and gain figures nothing about output impedance. can it be measured? tony

----------------

Well yes but you'll need more than a DVM. Impedance varies with the frequency so it ask for a bit of instrumentation.

Second option is to Google specs about your Marantz. It is such a classic that I would be surprised you wouldn't find it. On the other hand I would be quite surprised that it would be high. It's a transistor design ain't it?

If so, it should be low. At least under 800 ohm. Unless I'm wrong that is... I don't know much about SS.

Jeff,

Man... those K'Horns make me want to go on a roadtrip!

"Well yes but you'll need more than a DVM. Impedance varies with the frequency so it ask for a bit of instrumentation."

I assume measuring a pre-amp is similiar to measuring an amps output impedance. For an amp you can do it with a DVM and a frequency generator and a known load. Doing it this way you have to measure one frequency at a time but it wouldn't take many measurements to get an idea on where the output impedance of the amp is over most of its range.

Shawn

----------------

On 4/12/2005 12:28:01 PM sfogg wrote:

Jeff,

Man... those K'Horns make me want to go on a roadtrip!

"Well yes but you'll need more than a DVM. Impedance varies with the frequency so it ask for a bit of instrumentation."

I assume measuring a pre-amp is similiar to measuring an amps output impedance. For an amp you can do it with a DVM and a frequency generator and a known load. Doing it this way you have to measure one frequency at a time but it wouldn't take many measurements to get an idea on where the output impedance of the amp is over most of its range.

Shawn

----------------

Yes, those are one the the most beautiful pair of khorns I ever saw. It hurts me to sell them but those speakers are to much room dependant for the crappy room I have.

As for the output impedance, I'm pretty sure without any measurements that the output Z of a SS preamp must be rather low (under 200 ohms). But I maybe wrong.

----------------

On 4/12/2005 12:43:51 PM Kudret wrote:

Hey Jeff, This is a big move.

Incidentally I just built a pair of these amps myself and I am not selling mine.
:)

I am also getting my Khorns in a couple of weeks.

Kudret

----------------

Lavoisier was right!

"Nothing is lost, nothing is created"

I grew up in Quebec City (my mother and bother still live there), and I'm in Rimouski. But I need to think seriously about the Klipschorns because I'd have to dig into the credit margin for such a large unplanned expense. But I'm thinking about it!

Peter

Jeff:

If you find yourself in need of something to listen with, I have a very decent sounding Kenwood SS integrated I would be happy to send to you. I even used it for a bit with our Lowthers in the Medallion II horns, and it wasn't too bad -- very quiet in the background. This is one of the better Kenwood integrateds from the 70s, and looks virtually new.

The finish on those Klipschorns is really incredible.

Erik