Keep bose or go with klipsch cinema 6?

theonlysavior

Hello all. Im in a predicament and I need some help. I currently own a set of bose lifestyles 25's that are about 5years old. I was thinking about getting a new HT set because the bose just dont sound the way they used to. If I sell my bose set on ebay I could get around 800-850 for them which is pretty close to a set of klipsch cinema 6's. I really dont know what I should do because I dont want a stack of components. I loved the simplicity of the bose and wish the keep it that way. If i decide to get the klipsch set what are some good cheap amps available? How do they compare to the bose? Are thier any floor stands for the cinemas? Thank you all for your input..and by the way my living room is about 15x15.

Theonlysaviour,i was once the "proud" owner of the same set up,and suffered the same predicament as yourself.I moved on to a Harman Kardon/Mission system,the cost was nowhere near what i paid for the bose system,but in terms of sound quality it was the difference between night and day.Don't be to concerned about the look and convenience of whatever system you buy,Lets face it you want to listen to it not look at it.After much searching and listening i settled on klipsch and up until now have been very happy with my purchase.Of course you are going to hear pretty much the same from most members of this forum.One thing will be fairly universal bose ain't gonna cut it.

You should get a Cinema 6 set (just try to get the RW-10 sub... or bigger).

For your electronics, just get the Panasonic XR-70S receiver. It's as sleek as the fake silver paint of the Bose system, but offers a ton of features, plus impressively good digital amplification. Plug in a silver-colored Panasonic universal DVD player and enjoy.

I think that any bookshelf stand will work with the RSX speakers, so you have a wide selection there.

With regards to the audio quality difference, there is no comparison whatsoever. It's sort of like moving from a Model T ford into a 2005 camry. Bose speakers are sort of looked down upon in the audio world, because they're cheaply made, produce poor sound, but are marketed very well, and sold at an outrageous markup.

The RSX satellites of the Cinema 6 system are undoubtedly better looking, are just as small, and supercede the Bose satellites in every aspect of sound reproduction. They are also significantly cheaper, while boasting better build quality and very good reliability.

Well ironically the bose set was a gift from my dad1.gif probably got sick of the sound .....So I think im going to get me a set of cinema 6 speakers9.gif10.gif I think im definitly going to have to save up some money first so that I can just buy everything all at once. How much more would it cost me to upgrade to the better sub? Anything else I should have in mind when buying anything else i need? O yeah and are these good all around speakers or do they favor movies music? Im sorry if im bugging you guys with questions its just that i cant find nothing on the cinema 6's only 8 and 10..

Well, it's like this - the Cinema systems are a "suggested" combination of speakers. You are not required to get those particular models.

The Cinema 6 system comes with RSX/RCX-3 satellites which come equipped with what I think are 3" woofers... the sub that's suggested with this system is an RW-8, which is an 8" ported sub.

Now I've used RSX-4 speakers (which are the slightly bigger sats used in the Cinema 8 system) and they are great little speakers. The RSX-5s from the Cinema 10 are even larger, with 5" woofers. These are great speakers, which sound great... especially considering that they're satellites. The RW-10 subwoofer is maybe $75 more, but is probably worth the difference. I would say the RSX-4s are a better deal than RSX-3s because they are only a few dollars more, but pack a bigger punch with their larger woofers. So the system you really want to price would be the Cinema 8... with 4 RSX-4s and 1 RCX-4 center and 1 RW-10 subwoofer. Any authorized dealer should give you a 15-20% discount off the list price, so keep that in mind. The Panasonic receiver I recommended previously will handle these speakers just fine.

On the other hand, the bookshelf speakers are undoubtedly sonically superior, but are somewhat more expensive, and certainly larger (take a look at the photo gallery on the front page) so if you're after the Bose tiny hideable speaker look, they're not for you. The RSX-5s and the RB-25 bookshelves are priced about the same. If you're after excellent music perfomance, these little babies are awesome... for around $400/pair (you should be able to get a good dealer to drop the price to $325 or lower). A good start would be to buy 2 RB-25 bookshelves, 1 RC-25 center, and the same RW-10 subwoofer... and forget the surrounds for a little while. If you do that, I promise you'll thank me in the long run.

Hey Meuge I was wondering what your thoughts were on the RF-10 floor stands were? Thier about the same price as the bookshelfs and I like that fact that I wouldnt have to buy stands with these. How does the sound compare to the RB-25? Are thier any other advantages of having floor stand vs. Bookshelf? Thanks man