RF-35 & Loewe 3891 discoloring

ofir

Hi,

Yesteday I've noticed that when I see a movie with a yellow or orange backgrounds, there is discoloring (purple color) at the left edges of the TV.

Technical data:

I have a new Loewe 3891 (32") CRT TV with Klipsch loadspeakers

(2 X RF35 + 1 X RC35 + 2 X RS35) connected to a Pioneer 2014i receiver and Pioneer 868i DVD.

Tha front speakers (RF35) are (each) located 50 cm (1.64ft) from the TV.

I read that those speakers suppose to be Magnetically Shielded.

So why do I get discoloring (apperantlly from the speakers)

Did someone had this kind of problem?

Kind regards,

Ofir 1.gif

Hi,

Thank you for your response :)

I've tried to move speakers away from the TV for a distance of 1 meter from the TV (After turning the TV off) but nothing had changed.

The vendor who sold me the TV told me (an hour ago) to turn off the TV (To pull the electricity plug out) for about 15 hours and move the speakers away from the TV. He is positive that the front speakers are responsible for this problem (He sells Klipsch loudspeakers as well).

I'll try it tonight.

But anyway, if the speakers are magnetically shielded, how come I get discolor at all?

Regards,

Ofir :)

----------------

On 4/17/2005 9:27:28 AM ofirco wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your response
:)

I've tried to move speakers away from the TV for a distance of 1 meter from the TV (After turning the TV off) but nothing had changed.

The vendor who sold me the TV told me (an hour ago) to turn off the TV (To pull the electricity plug out) for about 15 hours and move the speakers away from the TV. He is positive that the front speakers are responsible for this problem (He sells Klipsch loudspeakers as well).

I'll try it tonight.

But anyway, if the speakers are magnetically shielded, how come I get discolor at all?

Regards,

Ofir
:)

----------------

Ofir,

In my opinion if he said unplug the TV for 15 hours then plug it back in then he's not certain the culprit is the speakers. I had the "shielding" problem with my subwoofer. The pattern on the TV visibly moved as I moved the sub farther away from the TV. That is when I learned that the sub was not shielded (nor was it advertised to be).

Your Klipsch speakers are supposed to be shielded. {edit: That's not to say that a mistake wasn't made at the factory on this particular set of speakers} One way to find out is to move the speakers completely away from the TV (don't worry about the sound at this point--just test the picture) and then turn the TV on. What you are describing doesn't sound like a "shielding" issue to me.

Hi,

Well, after following the vendor's recommendations, I found out that the purple shades did not vanished completly.

I've tried also to move the front speakers completely away from the TV set and then turn the TV on again BUT there wasn't any change.

Could it be the Center speaker? or is it possible that the TV already (I have it for only 1 month) got demaged because of the speakers? 15.gif

--Ofir.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 1:08:57 AM ofirco wrote:

Hi,

Well, after following the vendor's recommendations, I found out that the purple shades did not vanished completly.

I've tried also to move the front speakers completely away from the TV set and then turn the TV on again BUT there wasn't any change.

Could it be the Center speaker? or is it possible that the TV already (I have it for only 1 month) got demaged because of the speakers?
15.gif

--Ofir.

----------------

I don't think it's your speakers. I also don't think you could have damaged your TV set, even if it was your speakers. Where is your center channel in relation to your TV? If it's close and is the culprit -- when you move it your problem should clear up immediately, if it's a shielding problem. All of your speakers you mentioned are shielded. Do you have a subwoofer close to the TV?

It sounds like more of a convergence problem with your TV set and has nothing to do with your speakers. I am not an expert in this field and if someone thinks differently please let Ofirco know.

Hello again,

Yesterday I realized that the Center speaker is the one who causes this purple shade on the left upper corner (when displaying yellowish background).

I moved away all the speaker from the TV and saw almost an undistinguishable purple shade. Then I returned the front speakers to a distance of 86cm (~2.8ft) from the TV. The purple shade was still almost undistinguishable.

But when I returned the center speaker to its shelf above the TV, a well distinguishable purple shade apeared on the left corner.

Does it mean that this center speaker has a shielding defect or is it the TV (Loewe 3981) that is very sensative to magnetic force.

Regards,

Ofir.

----------------

On 4/20/2005 1:59:10 AM ofir wrote:

...Does it mean that this center speaker has a shielding defect or is it the TV (Loewe 3981) that is very sensative to magnetic force.

Regards,

Ofir.

----------------

Again, I preface this with saying that I am no expert, but I think your center speaker may have a shielding defect. I would contact Klipsch customer service and ask them. 2.8 ft is a considerable distance and IMHO shouldn't be effecting your TV. My RC-7 sits directly on top of my TV with no problems.

I used to have a 35in. Zenith T.V. that was really susceptible to magnetic problems.

I couldn't use my Fortes in the same room with that T.V. it was so bad.

Even when I got my RF7s it still would get the purple color on the left side. The RC7 on top didn't bother it at all.

I switched the RF7s around and it was still only bad on the left side, so I knew it wasn't the speaker.

I finally just took the magnet off of one of my wifes refrigerator magnets and taped it to the left side of the T.V. by the purple spot and it went away.

Seeing how your T.v. is only a month old I would see about replacing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm a little lost with my problem.

I've just returned from the Loewe main distributer after taking my RC35 to see if the magnetic dicoloring is happening there as well. It did discolored their CRT TVs as well!!!

Yesterday I've replaced my RC35 with another RC35 from my dealer and the problem was the same!

I can understand that there is no problem with my TV (Loewe 3981) and that my RC35 has no defect.

Is it possible that the RC35 is not magnetically shielded properly???

Maybe it is too big?

Should I replace this center with a smaller one (RC25) ?

I would really like to hear and explanation from Klipsh.

Ofir 4.gif

The bucking magnets attached to the drivers merely reduce the stray magnetic fields they DO NOT completely remove them! TV's behave differently and it is apparent that yours is very susceptible to stray magnetic fields so try and find an alternate location to put the center channel, maybe on a shelf or below the TV somewhere angled up towards your listening area.

Going to a smaller center won't really help, you are going to have the same issues more than likely due to the sensitivity of your CRT.

I guess it is not 100% shielded 7.gif

Currently the Center is located on a shelf above the TV (a little bit behind the screen front).

I do not have a proper place to put it below the TV. The Receiver (Pioneer VSX 2014i) and the DVD (Pioneer 868i) are located there.

I'll try tonight to put it on a stool and see what happens.

Hi!

I've send this mail to Klipsch support team:

"Hello,

I have a discoloring (purple shades in the upper left corner) problem with my Loewe 3981 (32") CRT TV caused by my Klipsch RC35.

Isn't this speaker supposed to be magnetically shielded?

The Speaker is located on a shelf just above the CRT. I've replaced the RC35 just to see if the problem still occurs and it did.

I took my RC35 and checked it on top of another Loewe 3981 CRT TV and the discoloring appeared as well.

Could you please explain to me what is wrong here?

I would like to mention that there are also two RF35, 2.8ft from the TV (each) and two RS35 as rear surrounds. "

And got this reply:

"Ofir,

Thank you for your email and for choosing Klipsch.

First, move the speaker away from the TV if you have not already done so.

The Reference Series RC-35 center channel speaker does met the industry standard tolerance levels for magnetic shielding however, most TV manufactures do not have any such standards and some brands are more susceptible to interference than others. We can not take away the magnetic energy from the speaker (or it wouldn't work) we can merely re-direct the magnetic energy thus allowing it to be used closer to a older CRT television. If the TV has a poor cabinet design this may be difficult for most any shielded speaker.

Sometimes moving the center channel speaker forward or backwards may make a difference. Or of course, maybe on a shelf below the TV and angle upward? Not many other solutions or suggestions...if you upgrade to a LCD, Plasma, or DLP type television these are not effected by any type of magnetic energy."

Please fill free to comment ...

Ofir