The Woodsman

SteelerFan

could I ask, what is 'difficult' subject matter?

I'm a Tarantino fan, Love Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, but a friend brought over Reservoir Dogs last night and I couldn't get through the first 15 minutes with that guy's gunshot wound to the belly and all that squirming around. SOmetimes the horror of death in movies is TOO realistic for my blood.

Michael

• Moderators

Hi Michael!

--minor SPOILER alert if you want to see the movie "blindly"--although things written here are revealed fairly early on in the movie--

Basically, Kevin Bacon plays a convicted pedophile who is just released from a 12-year prison sentence--it's about his re-emergence back into society and dealing with his demons and seeing if he can have a "normal" life. It's very difficult material, but there's nothing "graphic" in it persae.

• 1 month later...

I don't think Kevin Bacon has ever done a better acting job--this was hard stuff. My jaw dropped when he had the talk with the little girl in the park (I'm not saying any more than that!) We have a bill now in Florida that would restrict convicted sex offenders from being within a certain distance from schools, and this characters window looked down on a schoolyard--

Amazing job to make a sex offender somewhat sympathetic. The special features has an interview where the producer tells of receiving a death threat for making this movie--

Very hard to watch but you don't want to miss it--

----------------

On 5/22/2005 11:31:21 AM theryugobuddy wrote:

We have a bill now in Florida that would restrict convicted sex offenders from being within a certain distance from schools, and this characters window looked down on a schoolyard--

***Spoiler***

Remember the part in the movie where he counts how many feet from his apartment to the schoolyard? 320' I think the law in the movie was supposed to be 300 although it's been awhile since I saw it.

Yes--and they seemed to show how he'd had a hard time finding a place--so much so that the only place he could find was a unit no-one else wanted next to that loud schoolyard--

Florida is trying to make the distance more like a mile. Broward County (Fort Lauderdale) wants to restrict all sex offenders from living anywhere in their entire county! Florida also just made their sex offender website very easy to use. Put in your zip code and you get a list with pictures and offenses--

This issue is sensitive around here being that we've had two young girls killed within the last few months--both by repeat offenders within blocks of their victim. One was across the street.

Sick jerks--for lack of a better word acceptable to the forum.