pop sound from sub

filmguy

my new klipsch rw12 subwoofer gives a audible 'pop' sound whenever i change either the source or the surround mode (PLII to NEO to DTS etc.) on my av reciever or even when i change chapters on my dvd player. what cld be the problem and will it damage the sub ?

My subwoofer used to do that with my Denon 4800 receiver. It started out of the blue, same symptoms, popping when toggling to DD/DTS etc. Denon replaced some resistors and components in the muting circuit which tamed it but it was always there after that.

If it was not doing it before and it started making the noise recently the internal components in the Marantz's muting circuit may have deteriorated and may have to be replaced. (Worse case scenario) did you mess with swapping RCA's in the back when the receiver was on at all?

More details would be more helpful in troubleshooting, see if it does it with the RCA inputs removed from the back and then switch it "on" manually to see if you get the "pop"

----------------

On 4/18/2005 11:57:07 AM Frzninvt wrote:

(Worse case scenario) did you mess with swapping RCA's in the back when the receiver was on at all?

----------------

yikes !! i might have done that few times 14.gif i hope thats not the cause or a very bad thing8.gif

i have a marantz sr4300 a/v reciever. the sound is like a soft pop and not like a switch sound that comes frm the the reciever. a slight sound also comes from the fronts also but thats much softer and hardly audible. right now i have the sub out connected to the R line level input, but the noise also comes frm the sub when i connect it with the LFE input.

if its not a big problem to the equipment i'd like to avoid replacing the sub as that will take alot of time.

Yep,

I did the same thing, messing with RCA's in the back while the receiver was "ON" - not a good thing to do.

Now when I make changes or mess with RCA's I turn everything "OFF" first.

It is very possible that the muting circuit components were deteriorated/damaged because of it. Especially if you went to plug the subwoofer RCA in and got an audible bbbbbbzzzzzzz/hum from the sub when you did it.

I say this because if you were not getting the "pop" noise in the past and it started all of a sudden, I honestly don't think it is the sub since you are getting the audible on the mains as well. A little pop is normal in some units but a powerful thump is not. I was getting a powerful thump from the subwoofer when it happened to me.

My NAD T163 has a little pop when it toggles to DD/DTS/DPLIIx from Matrix 7.1 but it is a tolerable one.

Your Marantz may need a trip to an Authorized Marantz repair facility.

thnx Frzninvt..

yeah, i'll have to make sure and be careful next time when messing with the rca's.

actually i've just bought the sub and the pop has been there since then. the fronts dont give that audible a noise and only when i'm right next to them do i hear them. the sub isn't as bad as a 'thump' but its quite audible. i live in india and as i said i'd rather not get into the whole exchanging/return thing esp since even the authorised dealers dont have that great a service. so if there's no cause for worry then i dont mind living with that pop IF its not going to lead to bigger problems and not a symptom of anything else.

Reading your other thread ( weird problem ), I am wondering if you have a problem with grounding at one of the wall outlets, or somehow current is flowing through the ground or earth connector. This would explain why you get a shock touching the amplifier on the rear of the subwoofer.

Is there a wall outlet tester available in India? Here in North America, we have a device that plugs into the wall outlet, that has led's ( light emitting diodes ) that indicate if the outlet is wired propely, there is no ground, or the hot and neutral are reversed.

if the sub pops when you turn it on, that is normal an will not hurt anything ie page 8 http://www.swrsound.com/products/ownersmanuals/la_series_small.pdf most high gain amps pop on powering up ,now on switching dsp modes that could be up in the air, or the amp thinks it is powering up, your mains won't pop there is no amp .in them which could be a clue in it's self .that the pop is from the sub amp