Surround Speaker Hieght

thejez

I just got some S-2 (synergy) surround speakers and I am about to mount them on the walls in my tv room. I noticed in the instructions that it says "minimum distrance from cieling: 1.75 feet". It also says to install the screw 5'7" from the floor.

Is there a reason for them recommending this mounting height? Does it really make a difference? I was wanting to mount them toward the top of the wall (like a foot from the cieling) so they more out of the way but if I will get better sound putting them 5'7" off the ground I would consider changing my plans...

but I dont know why they recommend this... does anybody know??

thanks for the welcome, I am new to the whole home theater thing so I enjoy reading ppl who know a lot more than I do.

I can definately mount them just above head level, my reciever also allows me to program the height of the speakers so i assume it can compisate (in terms of sound) for a high or low mounting. It seemed like a lot of the pictures I've seen on this forum from other peoples setups that they had their surrounds mounted high on the cieling... that kinda where i got the idea to begin with but if its not the best place to put them then I'll put them lower.

If you are going to be standing while enjoying your system, and can get them AT LEAST 1.75 ft. from the ceiling, that is also a consideration IMO.1.gif {edit: You don't want it too close to the ceiling. As long as you are not that close (1.75 ft)--Higher is better than lower insofar as surround speakers go}

i just measured and 1.75 feet from the cieling puts me 3.5 feet from head level - so i might come down a little more to about 2-2.5 ft above head level.

This will be mostly for watching movies so the closer to head level i am begining to think the better.

I think the reasoning is

a) closer to ceiling will increase the bass somewhat, but you don't want it way up in the corner

B) too close to the ceiling will result in lots of sound bouncing off the ceiling, not a good thing.

c) therefore, the recommendation for 1.75 from ceiling, not too far, not too close.

Michael