KSP-S6 or RS-7 ?

Craig6519

I currently have the KSP-S6 as side surrounds and love the way they sound, I wanted to get another pair for the rear center or centers for 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

The only problem is the price that people want to get for these used, i've seen between $450-$700 and i don't want to pay that.

Has anybody owned both of these surrounds and can they honestly say the RS-7 sound/perform better than the S6's?

I'm thinking about selling my KSP-S6 for a outragious price and buying two sets of RS-7, what do you guys think?

Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

AVMAN NEEDS ADVICE QUICKLY!! i am in the same situation in that i'm in need of rear surrounds, and must act quickly to spend cash$$'s on rear surrounds! i can get a SWEET deal on new rs-7's (same or LESS than ksps-6's) but i have klf-30 l,r and c-7 center. ALSO i can't mount these on the side, but have to mount them about 5-6 ft. behind my listening area 6 inches-2 ft. from the rear wall on the side wall OR on the rear wall (18.5 ft. wide by about 22 ft. deep. the rear wall itself is about 12 ft. wide) as i write this, i'm thinking that mounting them on the rear wall would be best, especially if i get the rs-7's because of the front-firing mid-bass driver (i wouldn't think it would be a good idea to point them toward each other) any help would be appreciated. i know the ksps-6's sound GREAT, i haven't heard the rs-7's, and i WILL be using a powered subwoofer. thanks! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I know the main concern here is the compression driver mismatch between the KLF's and the RS-7's, but I have been one of the lucky first one's to experience this combo. I know a another regular poster out west that feels the same way as I do. Just get the RS-7's, and, even with a sub, set the rear setting to "large". You will not be disappointed...it is still a surprisingly seamless transition from fronts to surrounds and the power of that new 1.75" driver mated with the ported bass is truly a step-up from the KSP-S6's. I hope to replace my RS-3's with the RS-7's to go with my KLF-30's (then, when my wife isn't looking, sneak in an RSW-15, he he).

PhilH

Whoops, brain fart gang, and just to show how much of an honest guy I am(raised eyebrows accepted), I won't try to edit my previous post here. The RS-7 actually is using the same compression driver as the RS-3,not the 1.75" one (like the RF-7/RC-7), the difference in sound comes from the difference in horn size, woofer size and the added ports. I must have been daydreaming about my upcoming Labor Day festivities (re-sealing my driveway-cool)when I did this mornings post...

Sorry

PhilH

Thanks for all the responses so far, but do i add a pair of RS-7 to my exisisting system which has KSP-S6 as side surrounds or should I change up and make them all match?

Thanks Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Very Funny cwm30.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Pair of KG4's (looking for a good center)

Oh Sorrry T.T.K., I'm starting to think that maybe I should just get a direct radiating speaker for the rear channel like another C7. WDST or direct radiating thats the new question now.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Pair of KG4's (looking for a good center)

Oh Shure

I tryed to tell you guys ages ago to go with the

RS-7 for the rear with the Legend series or Reference

But Noooooooo It fell on deaf ears.Now that mr.moderator says its cool Ya'll got dumbo earscwm2.gif

But thats ok I am keeping track and writing down all

your names so I can tell my Mommy on ya

craig, for my expansion to 6.1, i just picked up another C7 new on ubid for $295. my thinking is that 2

rear surrounds on my shortwall would be overkill, & besides all that's semi-available now as far as all discrete channel material is DTS ES discrete 6.1.

will see if i need another C7 on the mantle.

now all i need is a 6.1+ receiver or preamp/processor.

cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

no disrespect intended, and thanks for the advice, BUT AVMAN BUCKS THE TIDE!! for MY ht setup, i'm going w/ksps-6's! after much spiritual turmoil and debate, i've decided on the 6's for the following reasons: (comments welcome)

my ht room is for purpose of discussion here 22ft. deep by 12ft.wide (if lh side wall was continuous,but it opens up about 4ft.from the rear wall, and 5ft. from the front wall about 6ft.by 12ft.)it is actually 21ft.deep by 18 ft.wide at the widest point. if you're w/me, the rear surrounds are going 5-6ft.behind my listening area,2ft.appx. in front of the rear wall, on the side walls. the 6's design will place the 'sweet spot'of the forward-firing horn/mid-bass drivers right in the middle of the listening area, while the rear firing array will reflect off the rear wall. if, otoh, i got the rs-7's, their mid-bass drivers would be facing each other from across the room (about 11ft.apart)and the front/rear horns would basically do the same directional thing as the 6's. so i think there could be some cancellation/augmentation of bass w/the rs-7's firing into one another, and the 6's would be better for this application.

thanks sincerely to all who advised, and-worse case senario-if i find the rs-7's are the better choice, i can just sell/move the 6's and buy the 7's, but the reverse isn't as likely due to the 6's no longer being made. so there! avman. Smile.gif

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

NEW! sony playstation 2!

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

avman,

Is there a way you can post pictures of your room?

5-6 ft back behind the seated position seems like a

long way back unless you are using Yamaha

They have there own version of prossessing and

it is different from the industry standard.

Generally WDST surrounds should be placed on the side walls at the "null" or slightly behind 2-3 feet

above the seated listening position.If you are using a direct radiator then behind the listening position.

In a 7.1 system WDST side surrounds and direct radiators in the rear is the perfered method

Cheers Ray

So boa12, your going to run 2 KLF-C7's in the rear? Would that sound as crappy as trying to run two front centers?

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

craig, just 1 rear c7. probably would be crappy & overkill using 2 rear C7 in my room. for me i think just 1 will do fine filling in that hole between the LS & RS.

a single or two klf towers or cornwalls would be great i think, but no need or room for them here.

ok guys-what i'm anticipating is: direct-radiated sound from the front facing drivers on the 6's and reflected sound off the back wall generated from the rear facing drivers (i can 'tweak' the absorbtive/reflective qualities of the rear wall by using different materials).this vs.having two 8" drivers (the rs-7's) firing into each other. also, i can experiment w/placing the 6's to my side, but i think they are going to JAM!! i'll let y'all know. avman.ps:if direct-radiating speakers do sound better,i can always sell or move the ksps-6's, and get some! thanks, avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

NEW! sony playstation 2!

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

avman, there are direct-radiating drivers on the S-6's, these aere (WDST). I don't think I understand your latest post.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner