Panasonic DVD-S97S with HDMI

damonrpayne

Ive got one. Very good dvd player for the price. (I didnt wanna spend 500+ on the denon 2910 with bluray so close by)

Theres a couple of running threads on it on avsforum, you should prob read thru those and decide urself. Personally I wanted something to tide me over till bluray comes out. 1080i looks great on my 42" sony.

1080i looks incredible, amazing, etc, etc I have the Samsung 931 DVD player on the Samsung 61" DLP too!

FYI

Samsung has a 950 due Late April, early May, that is supposed to be the bomb. (Including the 200 dollars HDMI cable FREE most buy for like 200- 300 dollars accoring to the Samsung Rep!) Here is some info off of the Samsung site.

HI-Def UP Conversion

DVD-HD950

Hi-Def Conversion DVD Player

Samsung's newDVD-HD950 high-def conversion DVD player is the perfect solution for anyone who has upgraded to HDTV and want to get the most out of their DVD collections, too,."Samsung has always been committed to embracing the latest innovations and capabilities in its DVD line, and our new up-conversion players ensure that consumers who have invested in HDTV get the very best in DVD video and audio playback as well.

Video: Hi Def Conversion 480p/720p/768p/1080i HDMI/DVI Compatabile

DVD Audio SACD, 6ch output

Playback Formats R/RW/+R/+RW/CD-Audio and SVCD

Video DAC 54MHz/10BH

Audio: Audio DAC 192 KHz/24BH

Terminal Audio: Coaxial Digital out 1 set

Optical Digital out 1 set

L/R Stereo out 1 set

5.1 Channel Audio Out 1 set

Terminal Video: Composite Video out 1 set

Component Video out 1 set

S-Video out 1 set

Net Dimensions: 16.9"(W) x 2.3"(H) x 9.9"(D)

Net Weight: 4.6 Lbs.

UPC Code: 036725609501

Supplied Accessories: 2 Cables (HDMI/DVI)

Remote Control

1 AAA Battery

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=DVD-HD950%2fXAA&selTab=Specifications

===========================================================

Personally I use the Optical out of my DVD player to my Aragon Stage One, so that is the shortest route. I am VERY VERY happy with the 931, and will get this new one for the HT downstairs..in Black!

The up conversion is soo sharp all my movies and sound feels like, looks like, HI DEF dolby digital 5.1 off of the Comcast High Def Box.

WARNING!!!! Those of you using a cable HD box you NEED the optical Cable out of the High Def box your renting into your sound source to get REAL Dolby Digital. The Comcast guy when I used it, said all you need are the red and black cables... I let him install it.. it was dolby pro logic..

I said give me 2 min... he waited..thought I was crazy.. Installed the optical cable out of the Comcast HD box into the stage one and WOW.... heard a HUGE difference now discrete 5.1 Dolby Digital II like it is supposed to be. He said in 2 years no one showed him that/ heard that. BE AWARE they do not know what they are doing 1/2 the time.

I bet you can find one to tide you over till the blue ray stuff comes out.

Whatever you do, dont be the first one to get it.. unless its been previewd by a ton of review sites. Look at reviews for the samsung 841.. tons of issues, same with the denon 1910. Then again you might get lucky if it turns out to be just like it says on paper. If you can wait a bit let the brave ones buy it and see what happens. Whats your budget like? If you can afford the denon 2910 id go with that.. great unit overall and a universal.