RC-7 and RF-35's...

bytor33

----------------

On 4/29/2005 6:49:48 PM tkdamerica wrote:

That is interesting mine say "125 watt max" I purchased mine from Ultimate Electronics, an authorized dealer. Both of mine are cherry. I wonder if a Klipsch rep could step in and explain the discrepancy
6.gif

I know what the spec sheet says.

----------------

What is even more interesting is that both of my RC-7s say 150 watts! I bought these back in 2002 from Tweeter, which was, than, an authorized dealer. Maybe Klipsch did some additional testing over the past couple years and updated the specs to more closely reflect what the speaker can actually take.

There was questions about buying speakers from "un-authorized" dealers, and they modifying the serial numbers. In my case, these are the actual brown and gold Klipsch stickers on speakers bought from a known authorized dealer.

And to go off on a tangent, speaking of dealers! Found out that there is a new dealer right here in F'burg that is now selling Klipsch. A small outfit called Raven Hi-Fi and HT. I went in there to check them out, and they got some nice stuff. Pretty sweet to walk into the front door and being greeted by a pair of cherry RF-7s hooked up to a Conrad-Johnson tube amp, with a Cambridge Audio Azure 640c CD player acting as the source! A really nice, clean smooth sound out of that nice little setup! I went and chatted with the owner there! A really nice guy - not snooty at all! I told him what I had (Ref 7's with B&K amp and Denon reciever as a pre/pro). He told me I had a very nice setup, but I gotta do something about the Denon. Found out he was also a B&K dealer as well (he also had Krell, Adcom, and many others). He went and demoed an Adcom pre/pro hooked up through an Adcom amp going out to some KEF wall mounted speakers around a large plasma display. Quite impressive! He pretty much told me that other than considering a good pre/pro, I have a very impressive system and I should be set for a long time to come. Like I needed a second opinion on that, but it was pretty cool to find a high-end dealer tell me that I have a nice system! Kinda puts me in a quandry as to who to get the pre/pro from. I've always had great service with the local Tweeter (plus I know I can get a decent discount on one), but at the same time, I really want to support the smaller, local business. Ahh well, I got a few years before I gotta decide anyway.

But to get back on topic of this thread. Yes, that RC-7 should be awesomem with those RF-35s (and as somebody else hinted, that is not a bad upgrade path down the road - to get RF-7s and move the RF-35s to surround duty - hell, i got a pair of RF-5s acting as surround duty! 9.gif ). Also, like as was mentioned. Just make sure it is calibrated, in that the gain is set so that all the speakers are putting the same SPL of sound. This is where the $35 Rat-Shack SPL meter comes in handy (or if you know where you can borrow an SPL meter from).

Yeah, that's crazy how there's so much variance on the wattage listed on the back of the RC-7's. Hopefully someone from Klipsch will clear this up Monday. Do you have your RF-5's as the side surrounds or rear center surrounds skonopa? I'm assuming by (A surrounds) you mean the sides. I only have a 5.1 setup with RS-25's in the back and if/when I move to 7.1 I'll probably go with some bookshelves to accompany them.

Don't worry meuge, I never claimed klipsch speakers aren't worth the money as I love them and actually started getting into klipsch after I bought the original 4.1 promedias like 5 years ago. I just think they should make them more available to people that can't get them locally or for the people that can but have to pay close to retail because they won't negotiate like my stupid ultimate electronics.

I doubt a lot of people care about being able to demo them if they're already familiar with klipsch products and would rather get them at a cheaper price. Also, the warranty really is quite useless unless you physically damage the speaker yourself by dropping it or whatever. I mean honestly, how many people have blown or damaged their speakers by listening to them? It really just comes down to giving consumers more options to obtain these wonderful speakers through "authorized" means.

On 4/30/2005 12:40:39 AM skonopa wrote:

----------------

What is even more interesting is that both of my RC-7s say 150 watts! I bought these back in 2002 from Tweeter, which was, than, an authorized dealer. Maybe Klipsch did some additional testing over the past couple years and updated the specs to more closely reflect what the speaker can actually take...

... He told me I had a very nice setup, but I gotta do something about the Denon. ... He pretty much told me that other than considering a good pre/pro, I have a very impressive system and I should be set for a long time to come. ... Kinda puts me in a quandry as to who to get the pre/pro from. I've always had great service with the local Tweeter (plus I know I can get a decent discount on one), but at the same time, I really want to support the smaller, local business. ...

... hell, i got a pair of RF-5s acting as surround duty!
9.gif
).

----------------

I know where you are coming from and I identified with a lot of what you said in your post. I too have friends at Tweeter and purchased my original HT Klipsch purchase from them. The last several times I stopped in there I kept trying to tell my friend that if they were going to remain a high end dealer they really need to be selling Separates (they used to sell b&k but are discontinuing). In fact, my last 5 to 10 conversations with him has been about buying 7 to 9 channels of amplification and how much of an upgrade it would be for me! He was real informative, but didn't have what I was looking for.

I use (and am extremely happy with) Denon receivers and have a 4802 R in my main theater and use RF-3's as my "A" surrounds. I tried the RB-75 in that position and didn't like them as much. I REALLY like being able to use 2 sets of side surrounds.

To get back on topic--Yes, it will be interesting to see why the discrepancy from authorized dealers on the RC-7. Thanks for the original post. I e-mailed Ms. Unger in customer service.

----------------

On 4/30/2005 12:40:39 AM skonopa wrote:

----------------

----------------

What is even more interesting is that both of my RC-7s say 150 watts! I bought these back in 2002 from Tweeter, which was, than, an authorized dealer. Maybe Klipsch did some additional testing over the past couple years and updated the specs to more closely reflect what the speaker can actually take.

----------------

I don't think the date has anything to do with it. I dug out my receipts and I had bought one RC-7 in March 02 and the other in Nov. 03, and they both say 200 watts max. And both were bought from the same auth. dealer.

----------------

On 4/30/2005 8:56:51 AM Bytor33 wrote:

Do you have your RF-5's as the side surrounds or rear center surrounds skonopa? I'm assuming by (A surrounds) you mean the sides. I only have a 5.1 setup with RS-25's in the back and if/when I move to 7.1 I'll probably go with some bookshelves to accompany them.

----------------

As 'tkdamerica' alluded to, the Denon recievers allow two sets of surrounds to be hooked up, an 'A' surround and 'B' surrounds.

I have a 6.1 configuration. The RF-7s are mains, one RC-7 front center and a second RC-7 rear center. These are all being driven by the B&K Ref 200.y amp. On the side surrounds, I have, for the 'A' surrounds, the RF-5s, which are being amped by the B&K as well. for the 'B' surrounds, I have a pair of RS-7s, which are being driven by the Denon AVR3802's own amps.

Admittedly, that is one reason why I am still using the Denon. The ability to have two sets of surrounds is really nice and I wish other manufacturers would provide something like this (at least in the case of Yamaha, they ought to give the user the choice of using those two extra channels as "front effects" or "second pair of surrounds".) Also, the Denon really does seem to do a nice job as a pre/pro. I am currently happy with the way things are, thus why I am in no real hurry to upgrade.

In fact, I was just recently at Tweeter, and was chatting with one od the salesmen. He told me that they had somebody come in and buy a Denon AVR5805 (yes, the big $6,000 reciever), and was told that the guy planned on using it only as a pre/pro! I was told he had some serious high-end Martin Logans driven by some redicoulously high-powered monoblocks or some such.

----------------

On 4/30/2005 8:56:51 AM tkdamerica wrote:

I know where you are coming from and I identified with a lot of what you said in your post. I too have friends at Tweeter and purchased my original HT Klipsch purchase from them. The last several times I stopped in there I kept trying to tell my friend that if they were going to remain a high end dealer they really need to be selling Separates (they used to sell b&k but are discontinuing). In fact, my last 5 to 10 conversations with him has been about buying 7 to 9 channels of amplification and how much of an upgrade it would be for me! He was real informative, but didn't have what I was looking for.

----------------

Did not hear that Tweeter was getting out of selling seperates. I'll have to go ask them the next time I am over there. For awhile, the only brand of seperates that I remember them having as B&K. It also seems that they are going more and more into custom home-theater installations. That seems to be where the money really is. People want thse nice clean, hidden-away setups (and one wonders by Bose is so popular, despite their huge marketing efforts (after all, what other speaker manufacturer puts these cute little flyers in my phone bill, like the one I got from Bose trying to sell me thier overpriced $1,225 Wave stereo with 5-disk changer))

----------------

I use (and am extremely happy with) Denon receivers and have a 4802 R in my main theater and use RF-3's as my "A" surrounds. I tried the RB-75 in that position and didn't like them as much. I REALLY like being able to use 2 sets of side surrounds.

----------------

Same here, and as I've already mentioned above. I am in no hurry upgrade mine. To be honost, I would've rather gotten the 4802 myself, but at the time I bought mine, they were still to expensive (around $2,400) and was just outside my budget at the time. If I was to upgrade now, it would be if I found, say, a 5803, on the used market for next to nothing.

----------------

To get back on topic--Yes, it will be interesting to see why the discrepancy from authorized dealers on the RC-7. Thanks for the original post. I e-mailed Ms. Unger in customer service.

----------------

Same here, now I am curious as to the descrepency between the various wattage ratings on the stickers. I am thinking it is either truly an error in printing, or that Klipsch updated the specs over the course of the last few years. There is a disclaimer on the specs sheet that says something to the effect that these specifications can change.

Amy? Trey? Steve P.? Buehler? Buehler?

I really like the guys at Tweeter in the DFW area. They are friendly and knowledgeable. They aren't doing well financially. They had another quarter in the red and are closing 11 stores. I understand they are going to more "in home service," but so is Bestbuy as well as alot of smaller outfits. Alot of competition to lay wire.

I think they are missing the boat by not stocking some of the higher priced DVD players and separates. They are not stocking any 5805's in the DFW area and only one DVD3910--both special order items. It's easier to get that stuff on the Internet (although I wish to keep these guys in business)

oops. sorry for hijacking the thread--Yeah what about those RC-7 specs10.gif?

A few years back, there were some incorrect power handling figures printed on RC-7 serial number labels that got to market by mistake. The correct continuous power handling rating for the RC-7 has always been 200 watts max. As far as serial number labels go, the Reference label is the gold/brown tone and the RC-7 never had a black and silver label.

PhilH

• Like 1

It is really sad that with all of the effort Klipsch has put in that the grey market still exists. Buyers do not get the factory warranty due to the fake serial number etc. Klipsch has their trade marks misappropriated etc.

Bill