New (to me) LS/RS set up - could not be happier

rplace

I tell ya it never ends. I tried to build my HT over the winter based on Choruses, Fortes and Academies. Then Frzn kept badgering me (good thing) about various khorn deals he would see until I gave in to the dark side (WO over OO). Those khorns came with matching H1s, which forced me to find more WO speakers to match them all up. Recently I sold my OO Heresy and one of my Academies to a forum member. We met along I-95 to eliminate the UPS factor. Funny thing is he is a 19 year veteran of the big brown machine and I worked for them for 8 years in another life (the 1980s). Simple transaction, met a fellow forum member and we were both happylife is good.

Anyway, this weekend I completed my j-malotky-like Heresy mount and make the leap from Academy/Chorus/Academy across the back of my 6.1 to Heresy/Chorus/Heresy. I must say I am amazed at the difference. It sounds fantastic! Now to be fair the Academies were a temp solution, on makeshift stands, behind my listening area about 120 degrees and angled toward my ears while the Heresies are correctly mounted on the side walls. For the record the Academies were great in the surround role of the A/C/A back trio.

This is the first time I have had a room such that I could put the LS/RS speaker to the side of the listener and it really made a different in my mind. Spiderman II super bit was the first DVD to watch. Very nicebut the biggest surprise was last night watching Seven. The movie is so damn rainy throughoutI was starting to look for an umbrella to use and leaks in my ceiling. The rain drops all aroundyes all around sides and back were phenomenal. The wife was even commenting on how much better the effects sounded over the previous set up. No more front and back, it was as if we were truly surrounded by sound.

I do in fact have another pair of WO heresies of the same year (1985) to put on the back wall for rear surrounds in a 7.1 set up. Just no amp to power them yet. I also need to j-malotky-like mount them or build some shelves.

Any thoughts out there are the following:

1 Shelf mount the heresies ear level vs. higher ceiling mount with angle down action.

2 Another Carver TFM-25 to go with the three I already have to power the extra heresy that will be added in going from 6.1 with single chorus in back to 7.1 with two heresies in back? Or, make the space saving jump to some multi-channel amp. I am running a Sunfire Theater Grand IV pre/pro and have not one bad thing to say about my Carver TFM amps. Just getting a little full in my 45 space rack.

Thanks to all of you who have helped along the way, off the top of my head Olorin, Frzninvt, j-malotky, sfogg, GaryMD, Larry C. I am sure there are others I missed. This place is the best!

Still have a single black Academy in very, very good shape is anyone needs it. I paid 1800 for three of them looking to get my 600 back for the one I have leftbut since I wont have to pay ebay and paypal fees I might go a little lower for a forum member. No real rush to dump it but if you are interested drop me a line.

Don't you just love it when things get better and better!

I am back to 5.2 right now as I took my beloved '62 Cornwalls to get the wood refinished (one had a plant ring on the top) and get them re-grilled in black cloth so they match the rest of my speakers. It will be a few weeks before I get them back and I already miss them. I am glad I decided to keep the Cornwalls, I did have the notion of replacing them with Academies due to space issues. It is good to hear that the Heresy was a superior performer for you in the rear position. I have used just about everything in the back.

Started with Heresy II's & a/d/s L300E's, then La Scala's & Heresy II's, then vertical Cornwalls & Heresy II's, then vertical Cornwall II's & 1986 Cornwall II's, then two pair of vertical Cornwalls, and finally to the current Khorn's & vertical Cornwalls. It has been a fun ride though.

I need to get a different TV so I can stand my La Scala upright and get rid of my Academy that serves as additional center support.