RIP Percy Heath

Allan Songer

Another National Treasure passes on. Jimmy Heath announced at Jazz Fest in New Orleans that his brother Percy has died.

PercyHeath

DAMN!

I was lucky enough to hear Percy Heath live at least a 12-15 times over the years, both with MJQ and the Heath Brothers. The last time was about a year ago at the Jazz Bakery (I sat right next to Horace Silver that night!).

But what I'll always remember ahead of everything else was hearing him talk about his experiences as a Tuskeegee Airman in WWII. When he went before the draft board and told them he was a mechanic (at the largest Philly Cadillac dealership) and had the desire to be an airplane mehcanic he was told that the Army Air Corps didn't allow "colored" mechanics, but that he was welcome to take an exam to see if he qualified to be part of an "experiment." The experiment was the Teskeegee Airmen! Percy aced the test and went on to fly dozens and dozens of missions over Italy and Germany and even shot down a couple of German fighters while giving cover on bombing raids.

When Percy came back to Philly he was a captain. He said that when he and his father walked down the streets his Dad was FLOORED by all of the white enlisted men SALUTING his son. Every day for a couple of weeks his Dad would say to him "let's go downtown after work and have all those white boys SALUTE you!"

He was a very funny, very wise and VERY gifted man. He didn't pick up the bass until he was about 24 years old and within 18 months he was playing on a Miles Davis record.

I'll never forget him. Looks like this is going to be an MJQ/Heath Bros. weekend for me.

Tomorrow night at Disney Hall here in L.A. I am attending the "James Moody 80th Birthday" concert and Jimmy Heath is one of the guests. It will be wonderful to hear him and will ease the pain considerably.

Should be a great concert. Bill Cosby is the MC and I sure it will be a real ball.

Allan, when you get a chance, let us know how the concert was. I hope there was a nice tribute to Percy - he's one of the few artists who, after I read the liner notes for his album, I really felt I'd like to meet. He sounded like a quality man, and truly, as you say, a irreplacable national treasure. I'm listening to his album while I write this.

God bless, Percy.

If you like what you heard, Larry, I highly recommend his album "A Love Song" - it was Percy's debut as a bandleader (and sadly, his last effort) If I want to play a recording that makes my system shine, this is the one. Andy Collins, the producer, made this as a 'labor of love' and it shows.