Will Synergys work well for a large room?

Brian_J

Been reading for a couple of weeks but first post so please bare with me.

Soon I will be moving into new condo and I'm in the process of upgrading my HT. I realize that the Synergy line isn't the most popular and if money weren't a limiting factor I'd love to get a nice Reference line setup but alas it is. 4.gif I've got $800 for speakers so I decided to get the front 3 now and surrounds & sub later. While searching for speakers I had a chance to demo the current Synergy line at my local Best Buy. They didn't have the F-3s but did have the F-2s and I thought they were simply wonderful. Since then I have been looking for Klipsch speakers on-line and came across the last generation of Synergy speakers. I can get a pair of SF-3s and a SC-3 for ~$770. My question is will they be enough for my living area? Here is a diagram to give you an idea of what it looks like: Floorplan. The whole room is completely open and from my rough calculations 40'x 17'x 10' so about 6800 ft^3. The floors are stained concrete and there is a false ceiling 10ft up. Picture for reference: Picture. The speakers will be powered by a Pioneer VSX-1014TK. Any comments or substitute recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian 1.gif

BrianJ,

I agree with bill. If you liked the way they sounded at Bestbuy, you will like them better in your home setup IMO. Later when you decide to upgrade you may even find moving your F-3's to surround duty (some of us here use towers as surrounds;-) and upgrade your front mains might be a good decision.

Welcome to the forum1.gif

----------------

On 4/30/2005 3:42:22 PM Brian_J wrote:

Thx Bill.
10.gif

Another question: Are the SF-3 and the F-3 relatively the same or is there a drastic difference sound wise? Price wise the difference is ~350 clams for the pair.

----------------

I know you asked Bill, but I will chime in--I don't know from experience but looking at the spec sheet I wouldn't think there would be $350 difference. I owned the Synergy series from 6 years ago which my brother has now. I am still impressed with how they sound.1.gif

The F-3 looks cosmetically nicer. When you start talking the price difference then you are looking at getting closer to the reference line and that is where my recommendation would lie at the $1200 to $1500 for your front 3 speakers. YMMV.