Opinions on the Velodyne DD-12?

kenratboy

I am biased but I am going to say hell yes! The servo controlled bass is far more clean and accurate than the aforementioned products. Now I would not pay full price for one but if you can get one in the range that you are talking I would jump on it. The only Klipsch subwoofer I bought was a piece of junk and I paid good money for it (KSW-15), dumped it on eBay after 5 minutes with the Velodyne their was just NO comparison.

I have two Velodyne F-1500R's which are the HGS-15 equivalents and let me tell you I have bass that can dig into the teens and hit like an earthquake and the volume on them is on 3 1/2 and preamp gain at +1. I can rattle the fillings out of your teeth if I wanted to and I bought these subs for $400 apiece on the used market, they sold for $1600 new. I had Velo go through them both and they just plain rock!

Velodyne has been building quality subwoofers longer than many other companies and certainly longer than the companies that you mentioned.

I have never tried a DD-12 but I did own a HGS-18. The HGS-18 was great on music so I would have to suspect that the DD-12 would be even better considering the built in EQ.

For movies I really like the slam of an Earthquake supenova or SVS CS-Ultra both of which I have owned. The Velodyne just can't match the output of these 2 subs for movies. The difference is not subtle either. I used to own a pair of SVS CS-Ultras but the bass was so powerful that a few pictures fell of the wall and things just shook violently.

If you listen to a lot of music then the Velodyne is a solid choice. If movies are your main priority and you like bass that will literally push through your body then for the price you can't beat SVS or Earthquake.

I don't know the exact specs on the DD-12 but I would bet that you would need 2 to equal the output of a single Earthquake Supernova MKV-15.

Just my 2 cents.