Denon 4802R as a Preamp paired with...

Zen Traveler

My Home Theater is listed at the bottom of this post. It sounds wonderful and I have no complaints. My last "upgrade" was exchanging some RB-75's with a pair of RS-7's to use as rear surrounds in a 7.1 (9.2 depending on how you look at it ;-) setup. It really didn't make that much of a difference.

I am now considering using my Denon 4802R as a preamp and wondering if a multichannel amp would improve my sound dramatically. I plan on renting an amp to try first, but I was tempted (and still am) to buy a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400 x5 without hearing it first because it was a good deal. I also contacted a Parasound dealer and got his opinion on their product.

I read pretty much every thread in the last couple of years regarding different amplifiers on this site so I am not ruling out any companies, but I prefer to buy locally in the DFW area.

My questions are these:

1) With the sunfire rated at 400 wpc, do I risk harming my speakers and would this be a tremendous improvement in sound quality (the loudest I play my 4802R is - 15 and it sounds great)?

2) Any advantage with the high current, heavier Amps that are rated at lower WPC than the sunfire?

3) If I decide to get a 5 channel amp to run my main 5 speakers, is there any problem (if I adjust the gain) with running my other 4 surrounds with the Denon 4802R?

Any help would be appreciated.1.gif

----------------

On 5/1/2005 8:21:36 PM tkdamerica wrote:

My Home Theater is listed at the bottom of this post. It sounds wonderful and I have no complaints. My last "upgrade" was exchanging some RB-75's with a pair of RS-7's to use as rear surrounds in a 7.1 (9.2 depending on how you look at it ;-) setup. It really didn't make that much of a difference.

I am now considering using my Denon 4802R as a preamp and wondering if a multichannel amp would improve my sound dramatically. I plan on renting an amp to try first, but I was tempted (and still am) to buy a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400 x5 without hearing it first because it was a good deal. I also contacted a Parasound dealer and got his opinion on their product.

I read pretty much every thread in the last couple of years regarding different amplifiers on this site so I am not ruling out any companies, but I prefer to buy locally in the DFW area.

My questions are these:

1) With the sunfire rated at 400 wpc, do I risk harming my speakers and would this be a tremendous improvement in sound quality (the loudest I play my 4802R is - 15 and it sounds great)?

2) Any advantage with the high current, heavier Amps that are rated at lower WPC than the sunfire?

3) If I decide to get a 5 channel amp to run my main 5 speakers, is there any problem (if I adjust the gain) with running my other 4 surrounds with the Denon 4802R?

Any help would be appreciated.
1.gif

----------------

question #1:

you will not have any risk in "harming" your speakers..... 99.99% of all speaker damage is caused by overdriving speakers with under-powered amps ..... you will only use the amplifier power that is necessary to power your speakers to the level that you require in your room and whatever transient peaks that the music/soundtrack requires....

question #2:

the sunfire will outperform many of the other "boat-anchors" out there that can help prevent a tornado from taking away your house.... even spending $10,000 on a plinuis amp might improve the sound or it might not.... IMHO... the sunfire is the way to go....

question #3:

you should be able to adjust the levels of the channels in your receiver even with different amps..... you should have some sort of setup system that allows for volume level adjustments per channel... this will work whether you are using the internal amps or outboard amplification...

personally - i am using a carver pro ZR1000 digital amp for my mains, a carver pro PM125 bridged to mono for my center, and the internal amps on my pinoeer elite 55txi to power my surrounds.... after i run the auto setup program - all the levels are set and the different amps integrate almost seamlessly for a great 5.1 sound!!!

good luck!

It's nice to be thought of...

You'll never regret having more power than you need to handle dynamic passages with headroom. As Riss so aptly cited, too little power is a bigger risk than too much. The Sunfire is a solid unit and excellent sounding.

You can absolutely adjust your levels, I'm running the 400 with 600 on the fronts remember, and as Russ described but by ear (don't have the features the Pioneer does) got my levels just fine.

If you wanted to, and it could be worked out, you might knwo a guy who would bring one over and hook it up to give you a listen.....provided your wife won't clock him3.gif

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:08:28 PM tkdamerica wrote:

We better keep my wife out of it--She's a 3rd Degree Blackbelt with a short fuse.
2.gif

Does the Sunfire connect to the Denon with RCA type connections?

----------------

yes

http://www.sunfire.com/400FiveFrontPR.htm

Features and Specs

400 watts rms continuous per channel, all channels driven into eight ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.5% T.H.D.

800 watts rms per channel into four ohms.

1600 watts rms per channel into two ohms - time limited basis.

Two output options: current source for a warmer, more open tube sound or voltage source for the tightest response possible

Intrinsic frequency response 1 Hz to 80 kHz

Patented Tracking Downconverter power supply

Signal present auto-on switch which automatically wakes up the amp when it receives a signal from the Sunfire or other preamp

12VDC trigger input with 1/8" mini jacks as well as plug-in screw-terminal strip

High-quality gold-plated all metal five-way binding posts

Each unit hand-signed by Bob Carver

Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs

Five-year parts and labor warranty

it takes XLR and RCA, I probably have enough cables to do it. although the blackbelt thing makes me a little nervous.....tomorrow might be pretty tough for me, I have a killer day...

I do have to tell you in all fairness this thing could move tonight, but it would be like the 8th deal to fall apart this weekend so there's hope...selling gear is like moving, without the beer or your friends to help....

Russ, you're killin me...too funny....

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:27:10 PM arthurs wrote:

...I do have to tell you in all fairness this thing could move tonight, but it would be like the 8th deal to fall apart this weekend so there's hope...selling gear is like moving, without the beer or your friends to help....

Russ, you're killin me...too funny....

----------------

Russ IS having a good night and I appreciate his help

1.gif I also understand where you are coming from--If it comes together tonight for you I COMPLETELY understand and wish you luck.

If not, I'll drop you a note tomorrow and maybe we can shoot for Tuesday on my way home from work. Even if it does sell, I could bring the two channel over and you could at least hear what you're thinking about and give your self a point of reference for the future..

Offer is open, let's talk tomorrow.

Thanks for the consideration again, Art. It's getting late and I had better get to bed. Speaking of friends and moving--It appears Russ was a help and neither one of us had to buy his beer. 2.gif Seriously, If you can sell it tonight--Do it! Good night. In Russ's best voice "Elvis has left the building!"10.gif