Tweeter replacement

OK, last post, please bear with me...

I replaced the tweeter diaphragms in my Cornwall II's with new Crites titanuim d's.

WHen I broke open the old tweets, there was a yellowed round cotton ball looking damper/something in the dome of the tweeter.

The new d's didn't have this ball o'stuff, do I need to transfer the things from the old tweets to the new? What purpose was served with the round fluffy thing? Any ideas?

Thanks!

K

Dean,

The titanium diaphragms are for the K-76, K-79 and most of the other tweeters Klipsch used and still uses. This does not include the K-77 though.

In answer to the question above, the fiber stuff is in some of the original phenolic diaphragms but is not in any of the replacements. It is even in some of the very old K-77 phenolic diaphragms. The only case for its use in the K-77s that I know about is that it was present in the old diaphragm K-77 diaphragms I replaced in my 67 Lascalas.

I don't know what it was used for.

Bob

So it is not necessary to put it back in the disaphragms, right?

Hey Bob, explain the advantages adn disadvantages of titanium to me, would you? Is the frequency response the same, etc as the "older" poly diaphragms??

I have listened to them now, and they are bright, which I personally really like...is this the general case?

K

----------------

On 5/6/2005 12:47:46 PM Kriton wrote:

So it is not necessary to put it backn in the disaphragms, right?

Hey Bob, explain the advantages adn disadvantages of titanium to me, would you? Is the frequency response the same, etc as the "older" poly diaphragms??

I have listened to them now, and they are birhgt, which I personally really like...is this the general case?

K

----------------

Well, really the titanium is the best choice to replace the older and no longer available phenolic diaphragms. This is a set of traces I ran sometime back on the three types of diaphragms in the same K-76 driver. The titanium in theory should be capable of going higher than the others. Some of the drivers may allow it to show what it can really do better than the K-76 can.

Bob Crites

tiphpl.jpg

post-9312-13819264735348_thumb.jpg

I just put in Bob's titanium diaphrams in my Forte IIs this weekend. They balance seemlessly with the midrange, but I do find there is a little bit more energy in the highs than before. In my case, I like it. There may be something else going on which the graphs don't show.

Of course, with tweaks like this, it could be just my imagination too.

Titanium diaphrams, particularly when they first came out, got a bad rap, but supposedly the newer generations are much better because the self-damping has been improved.